Re: Larnsti and other topics

From: jeffrichard68 <richj_at_...>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 21:34:28 -0000

Alex:
> They wouldn't be the first HQers in the world to reckon they could
pick
> apart what to more cautious eyes looks like cosmicly inevitable
cause
> and effect...

Nope - especially since the inner workings of Heortling myths are probably not terribly well explored by the Lunars (with a few exceptions). I had one adventure where a Lunar HQ tried to jump into the Heortling initiation heroquest in 1607 - as a minor participant and just to scout out the rituals. Didn't go too well (Ghost Gors massacre was going on at the same time far to the north). But I imagine that sort of stuff is going on.

> Mind you, the degree to which it's actually a 'death' myth that's
being
> enacted is dubious. The magical effect on Valindi is exactly the
same,
> and it's not characterised as "killing" Valind. The mythic basis
may
> actually be pretty shallow for something that's in effect a
Sufficiently
> Big Magic Spell. (Granted it must have _some_ mythic basis, but
not
> necessarily one corresponding to the banner propaganda headlines.)

The Lunars might know of when Lokomoko silenced Orlanth (that might be known by the DH as well) - maybe that is the basis of what they are trying to do. Just a thought...

> Good point about Vingkot, since he's heir to O's kingship aspect in
> particular, which is what's most offensive to Imperial eyes.

Yeah. I need to grab GRoY - funny thing is, I was just rereading it a few weeks ago.

> What Chris says about multiple viewpoints is likely very true. The
> dominant take on this must surely be a (Lunarised) Dara Happan one
> though. But as well as inadvertant multiplicity, there may be
> deliberate such as well. "We'll borrow that part of the Umath
myth,
> that seemed to work out well for us, *this* part of the Vingkot
death
> myth, add in a few elements specifically related to Orlanth, and
see
> what we get..."

Sort of a creative heroquest? With big armies and acid rains? Cool.

Jeff