Re: Heortling Strategy

From: jeffrichard68 <richj_at_...>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 22:03:49 -0000

Gian -

Glad you jumped in.

> Heortlings are shifting targets, that's sure.
> When do they really become vulnerable?
> When they stand and defend their ground.

Without putting my Heortling stout hat on, I'd have to say that this is not always the case. It seems to me that the Heortlings can be their most dangerous when they choose to defend a place - knowing that they are going to die and "lose" in the process.

Good example that I know a little bit about - Rastalulf Vanak Spear's decision to defend Yinkinstead from Lokomoko. Rastalulf and his household were all killed, but they permanently defined Lokomoko as being not-Orlanth. It also set into action the chain of events that resulted in Harmast (Rastalulf's great-grandson) and Arkat.

Another example, the Battle of the Verge. Vargast Redhand knew that the Clan of the Verge would be defeated by Lokomoko and Palangio. However, in their defeat, they freed Orlanth from Lokomoko.

And so on.

> Broyan and his minions try to perform their usual
> Summons of Evil Ritual when they are already at a
> disadvantage, because they think that's the right
> thing to do to get more strength from their gods.

As did Vargast Redhand. Both Lokomoko and Palangio - who were about as powerful heroes as ever existed in Glorantha - came.

> The Lunar Army is not devoted to kill Orlanth, but
> since they are called to, they oblige. Not a plan, a
> consequence.
>
> The Plan to Kill Orlanth is mere barbarian propaganda.
> The Goddess is already Greater than Orlanth, she
> doesn't need her Son to do such a murderous act.

Actually, I am pretty sure that there is a Kill Orlanth project promulgated from the highest levels of Imperial authority. Not just barbarian propaganda - in fact, I think it takes the barbarians quite awhile to figure out that is what the Lunars are actually going to do.

Jeff