Enslaving Orlanth

From: Jimbruce <john.hughes_at_...>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 03:13:11 -0000

Peter:

> I wouldn't describe it as a Kill Orlanth project but an Enslave
> Orlanth project. And Whitewall's identification was enabled
> by its continued defiance long after the rest of Heortland had
> fallen.

I can accept the wisdom of this, even if only, as a Heortling soul, I know that Orlanth never died.

The temple itself can't have been the final key. It might have been a crucial component in a Lunar mega spell, but there *must* have been more going on at extremely high and secret levels. What that was, at this stage, I have no idea.

But I have a few inklings. As the Hero Wars begin, the walls of possibility begin to break down. The barriers between gods and men becomes more pliable. Back in the old Super-RQ days when we were tossing around heroquest, the fact that the gods had little free will was of crucuial importance. Gods can only do as their natures demand. Its the nature of the Cosmic Compromise

The Red Goddess broke the Compromise around Castle Blue. Perhaps the Lunar strategy is to force Orlanth into History, so his limited free will can be depleted and he dies. But they know so little about Great Orlanth. They free him to act. Sartar becomes the Underworld and the whole Lozenge begins to slide back into the Greater Darkness. This becomes more pronounced over time. The Hero Wars have begun.

Echoes of the final Utuma double bluff. All the gods die.

But hoiw this becomes useful to describing the actuial sieg eof WW, I'm not sure. :)

John