Re: Broyan: the early years

From: jeffrichard68 <richj_at_...>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 15:46:40 -0000

> > Still, I'd like to see Broyan's history during
> > Kallyr's revolt and before 1619.

Add me to this list of those interested in Broyan's background. Not a whole lot to go on. OiD says:

"Mighty warrior, clever leader, powerful heroquester, and charismatic king, Broyan, the "Last Free King," is a true follower of Vingkot, worshipping him as a god in his own right rather than as a subcult of Orlanth. He has won wars with words, battles with winds, and debates with swords. His leadership has been one of the few obstacles to the Lunar army march into Kethaela. Only such a man, whose personal winds appear around him and for whom humble cottars will fight hoplites, could have held Whitewall for so long."

Based on the picture, I'd say he is around 40. Not much else to go on.

> Me too. When did Broyan and Kallyr first meet, and
> how? That could be quite important.
>
> I'm pretty sure it was before 1613, because she fled
> straight to Whitewall: it must have been a known safe
> haven.

Let's assume Broyan was born in 1580 and became king of the Volsaxi some time before 1613. Say 1610?

> My own guess in the past was that a rather young and
> impulsive Broyan showed up for the Telmori wars in
> Sartar; any excuse to fight the Lunars! I'm absolutely
> sure that Kallyr was involved, given the support the
> Telmori gave her later. So they met in 1607? Both
> getting treated like idiot children by Kostajor, for
> very good reason?

This works for me. What years were the various wars involving the Volsaxi?

> Oh, and what was Broyan doing in 1613? Friendly, but
> not helping directly.

That sounds right.

Jeff