Re: FOUNDATION DOC: Forces and Numbers

From: dzo01 <dzo_at_...>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 16:21:56 -0000

I'm not going to dispute the numbers (although the besiegers do seem a little on the low side) but to chime in on troop compositions.

> Assuming the Defenders are about right I would put the Besiegers
at:
> 1. A good infantry unit (DH phalanx or Tarsh Huscarls) maybe
> understrength - 800 to 1000.

I think the core of the troops should, for the most part, and certainly at the beginning, be DH types. I think that Jorgandos as a DH (and IMHO) Polaris-type would be happiest with a phalax or two. Which was the Phalanx based out of Yuthuppa again - Beryl? (Where is Martin when you need him!)

I also think that Fazzur would be more than happy to keep as many DH troops out of the limelight (and loot, etc) of the main invasion of Heortland and would certainly like to keep his huscarls close to himself.

Of course when WW becomes much more important and Tatius takes control I see much more of the lunar characteristic of the army comming into play. Possibly a few of the heartland corps get into the act, I've always liked the steel swords so wouldn't mind seeing them get a look-in.

For the magical colleges we certainly know that the cratermakers are there at the end. Who else? - as Tatius is dean of the college of Magic maybe a Major Class and a Minor Class regiment?

Also, who are the "7 of Vistor". Do we have any other info on them? Should they be classed in the magicians section or in the siege train?

> 2. Several companies of dragoons (Mounted Infantry rather than
> Cavelry) - 400 to 600.
> 3. A good Light infantry unit (e.g. Peltasts) - 1000
> 4. A couple of Militia, Levy or mercenary infantry units to
provide
> labour and cannon fodder. Probably understrength due to
desertion
> - say 1500.

I do think that there should be a small company of light cavalry as a quick reaction force to any breakout attempts and to make any smuggling or small raids a lot harder. Probably not the Char-Un, however as we know that the surrounding tribes are pro-lunar and 3 years with a Char-Un regiment "foraging" in the area would soon put an end to that! Perhaps some Sables?

> You also should include the siege train, maybe a couple of
hundred. I
> don't think they would appear before 1620 after the failure of the
> bat attack.

Completely agreed about the siege train, or at least a reinforced company of engineers. Once Karse, etc has fallen there is nowhere else that really needs specialized beseiging equipment or troops. Where else would you send them?

Yak