Re: Jorkandros, lunar command, etc...

From: jeffrichard68 <richj_at_...>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 17:31:47 -0000

Dave:

> Well, one of the charters of the group was to bring in people's
PC's
> into the action. I can't be the only one who played a Buserian can
> I? <grin>

First against the wall when the revolution comes!

> I would certainly hope so - albeit with much reduced influence.
> Actually that gives me a fun idea. Maybe this Buserian gains
> significant insight into the Orlanthi relationship with the stars
> and sky-world, something that the DH's are woefully ignorant of.
> Enough so that later he has incilings/vague prophecies that
> something is going to go horribly wrong at the dedication of the
> TotRM but, because of his being discredited and fallen out of
favour
> during WhiteWall, these are ignored by the Lunar HC. This also
> provides a good hook for lunars PCs if they are the only one's who
> believe him...

This guy needs to be added to the database. This is a great - a Buserian Cassandra.

> > Yeah. I wonder if in the final assault there should be a unit of
> > Shargashi hell-men? I think so!
>
> That must be a given. Particularly if, as you suggest, they are
> using the Shargash kills Umatum myth they mythically have to be
> prominent.

Joy - with their drumming and blood-matting dreadlocks! Maybe they are there for the final big assault?

> I'm inclined to believe that the lunars certainly had a plan
> to "chain" Orlanth and that this probably does include killing off
> the parts of Orlanth that can't be healed. (How's that for a
> compromise - you can do anything with semantics!)

I agree with this - and I was heading in that direction with my previous post.

> I do, however, think that WW was not initially intended to be THE
> lynchpin or culmination of the Kill/Chain Orlanth campaign, but
that
> it evolved into this by the actions of both sides. It certainly
> escalated when Tatius took over and I think he saw a successful end
> to the siege and mythically overcomming Orlanth as a ploy in
> the "game of houses" in the Empire. As things drag on he gets more
> and more desperate to get it finished that he commits more and more
> of his political capital on a succesful outcome so that eventually
> he cannot be satisfied with anything less than massive overkill -
> hence the "Killing of Orlanth" and the mythic fall-out that
> surprised the lunars as much as the Orlanthi...

I like this compromise. I'm in.

> Whether the level of the defeat of Orlanth needed to be as extreme
> as it turned out to be for the dedication of the TotRM I don't
> really know.

Agreed. Maybe this is why it became an Empire-wide celebration.

> (Oh yeah, France is great - when are you and Dianne comming to
> visit? I'll stock up the wine cellar...)

Probably next year. Ever fancy a return back to Seattle? Ballard is really hopping now-a-days.

Jeff