Re: Re: FOUNDATION DOC: Forces and Numbers

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 20:34:21 GMT

In message <c2d580+2l9j_at_...> "dzo01" writes:
>--- In whitewall_at_yahoogroups.com, "Stewart Stansfield"
><stu_stansfield_at_h...> wrote:

>> Is Martin subscribed to this list? I'm a poor substitute, but have
>> enjoyed military discussions with him: from Martin's notes I can't
>> see a Phalanx based in Yuthuppa--the Beryl's are in Darleep--but I'll
>> scour and can see what I find. The closest infantry I could see was
>> the Elz Ast Line, and then the Jerenthos Spearlords. The latter are
>> hoplites are Khordavic vintage, but Lunar in religion.
>
>I'm relatively sure that the Yuthuppans had one of the origional
>Stone Phalanxes although it might of been one of the ones that has
>been wiped out - Yuthuppa always seems to be first on the list when
>the Pentan's come-a-callin'. They've had to rebuild those topless
>towers quite a few times.

In a three year siege there's going to be some rotation of troops so at some stage any or all options are possible - in 1621 probably several of them at once.

>> However, *most* importantly, this allows the key element: colour! Not
>> being restricted to single corps as tactical units allows us to mix
>> and match the best and most interesting Lunar units into a wonderful
>> whole. The final assault on Whitewall post-Bat would naturally
>> require the Imperial commanders to amass elements of their best and
>> most adept forces, in a manner of assault which would favour small
>> parties culled as the elite from various regiments.
>
>I heartily second this! Why should the lunars be less colourful
>than the Orlanthi - they certainly have more varity to draw from.
>It also allows lunar PCs from no matter where to be easily
>integrated.

I see the whole besieging army as one vexillia which implies there must be rituals to transfer units in and out as required. I don't see the army being made up of a dozen vexillia each with a mix of troop types from different units. The organisational problems that creates would be huge and it would get in the way of concentrating forces when required.

e.g. There are 50 peltasts from the 18th DH in the XXIII vexillia and 90 from the 5th Rinliddi in the XIV and 200 Tarshite Light Infantry (who are sort of Peltasts) in the IX. How do we use them together? because the DHs won't serve under the Tarshite officer and neither understands the Rinliddi bird speech. Oh dear! we'll have to create another vexillia to handle it. Far easier to have a single unit of peltasts where companies can be split off as required and vexillia formed when required for mixed operations.

This doesn't get in the way of bringing in PCs from other units as PCs are by definition exceptional individuals. So who is more suitable for detached duty, messengers, advance parties, the NCO left behind to bring the wounded along when they are fit to travel, etc. Unless we have bits of every unit in the Lunar army at Whitewall all the time that's the obvious way to do it. Another possibility is to just define unit types in general terms and leave it up to individual narrators to decide which unit at which time based on the PCs and the story line.

>> > I do think that there should be a small company of light cavalry as
>> > a quick reaction force to any breakout attempts and to make any
>> > smuggling or small raids a lot harder. Probably not the Char-Un,
>> > however as we know that the surrounding tribes are pro-lunar and 3
>> > years with a Char-Un regiment "foraging" in the area would soon put
>> > an end to that! Perhaps some Sables?

I deliberately used dragoons rather than light cavelry because they can also be used as infantry. From the description of Lunar dragoons in both Tarsh War and on the Issaries web site they are officially mounted infantry yet also capable as fighting as cavelry. If you prefer light cavelry you're going to need more decent close order infantry as well. Of course the Lunar forces are also going to be determined by what's available, particularly as Whitewall isn't a high priority operation for much of the siege.

>I knew something was missing! John, where are the ducks????

Looking at the map, I would suggest in the Drevan river. Probably sneaking supplies into Whitewall via streams which don't appear on the map. Incidently does anyone have a scale for the map?

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/