Vexillae

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 00:31:48 -0000

To join the comments of Yak [you're not Jeff Minter are you, that's also his handle :o)] and Donald, a further, not-so-quick word on vexillae. Taken to extremes, the prospect is naturally unappealing, but Lunars are clever chaps and chappesses, and don't... so I shall expand upon certain elements, as I originally envisaged them in my post.

N.B. For further issues on the perspicacity of Lunar tactics, I refer you to the works of Waimondo Montequackoli, Supreme Pontificator in the Operational Application of Myth in Theory and Practice at the University of Nochet, and author of "War: an Extension of Myth Through Military Means?" (Nochet 1615 S.T.) and "'Twixt Volsaxing and Vingan: Divers Military Recollections from an Eventful Career" (Sog City 1617 S.T.). Those who are particularly patient should also check out the soon to be released "The Martial Races of Dragon Pass" (3 Volumes; in press).

i) a vexilla is an operationally and magically flexible unit, created by Lunar army officers to achieve a specific tactical or operational goal, be it mundane, mythic or whatever. The magnitude of this goal can vary, and officers can use all their mythic and military intuition to decide upon how the unit is formed. Personally, I favour an Auftrag system, wherein senior commanders communicate an objective, and local oh-so-flexible and genius Lunar commanders (!) open their minds to the beneficent glow of the Goddess and form task forces from available forces.

ii) as has Donald has suggested, vexillae can be changed according to the goals required. A vexilla afterall is a military heroband, under the command of a Lunar officer. Vexillae are formed to achieve the best magical coordination of troops; in such situations, with Lunar troops well versed in the concept's use (see below), the magical bonds and currents of command transcend mundane differences.

iii) it would be highly appropriate for a local commander to attempt to mould his besieging army into a single large force during elements of the siege, though this might stretch his magic. It would perhaps be efficacious, however, to forge troops into local vexillae, based on sector and focus of operations e.g. North Wall Watch, East Gate etc. This would be necessary on the prosecution of an assault, when elements of the besieging forces would begiven localised goals to achieve, requiring a coalition of force. A small assault group that can weld magic, shock, missile fire and aerial support on a local, magically enhanced level is a very powerful force, and the very essence of Lunar military effectiveness.

iv) the state of troops available to commanders will vary. At lull times, it will be easiest to garrison second line regiments in the locality. At times of assault, I still see the Lunars drawing in elements of their best troops, yes some local, but others bivouacked beyond the attritions of siege warfare, and forging them into specially created vexillae. Do I see these operating alone? Nope, I definitely see whole regiments of other provenance fighting alongside them. But that's their own fault for being philistines.

v) vexillae are almost uniformly composed of 'Lunar' regiments, of which approaximately 48 appear within the Imperial order of battle. The chances of non-Lunar Dara Happan, even Pelandan etc. regiments, steeped in their own intransigent traditions, submitting their ranks to the open-minded, enlightened processes of Sedenyic military inclusion are probably zilch. And the chances of many Lunar commanders persisting long enough to achieve any breakthrough with such morons are commensurate with such.

vi) vexillae are commanded a Fereshori, who in all but the most extreme of circumstances will be a devotee of Yanafal Tarnils. In those few necessary exceptions, he/she will be an initiate. The concept of the vexilla always used to be indivisble from the concept of Yanafalian command, though these days the 'Military Magic' feat seems to have gone by the wayside. Shame, I quite liked that.

If and when the investment of Whitewall becomes more 'Lunar' in character, I'd still humbly suggest the efficacies of the especial creation of multiple vexillae for the all-out assault, as I'd originally suggested.

Best,

Stu.