Re: Vexillae

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 02:00:15 GMT

In message <c2dqhk+vfq9_at_...> "Stewart Stansfield" writes:

>v) vexillae are almost uniformly composed of 'Lunar' regiments, of
>which approaximately 48 appear within the Imperial order of battle.
>The chances of non-Lunar Dara Happan, even Pelandan etc. regiments,
>steeped in their own intransigent traditions, submitting their ranks
>to the open-minded, enlightened processes of Sedenyic military
>inclusion are probably zilch. And the chances of many Lunar
>commanders persisting long enough to achieve any breakthrough with
>such morons are commensurate with such.

Is this canon? or even GAG?

My understanding is that the whole idea of vexillia was that YT officers could lead combined groups of soldiers in spite of the fact that they had different traditions, methods of fighting and even spoke different languages. I appreciate that's going to be difficult which is why it is such powerful magic.

If that's restricted to Lunar units, a minority of the army, then some of the most effective units are going to be unable to co-operate with each other.

>If and when the investment of Whitewall becomes more 'Lunar' in
>character, I'd still humbly suggest the efficacies of the especial
>creation of multiple vexillae for the all-out assault, as I'd
>originally suggested.

I don't think that will ever happen, several of the 48 Lunar units you mention are bodyguards who are unlikely ever to leave Glamour so I don't see a mainly Lunar army ever appearing in the field. But even using vexillia with non-lunar units I don't see any particular advantage in splitting up and mixing units of different fighting styles in major battles or sieges. To me the vexillia is a way of getting the advantage of different troops into small independent forces outside the normal chain of command. Furthermore that requires a lot of knowledge by the commander - a relatively junior officer has to understand the strengths and weaknesses of all the troops under his command, not just the regiment they have served with. So competent officers to command vexillia are going to be rare - probably a bigger restriction on the use of vexillia than troops.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/