Re: Re: A Suggestion On Process & Progress

From: Tim Blackler <tim_blackler_at_...>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 15:47:23 +0000

Don't mention the O-word (horrible bloaty bit of software). Given the choice i'd use Sybase, one of the perks of working for the company is you get to download all the software for free (although I think there is a developer version of 12.5.1 available for download now, with no licence expiry). But as I don't have a server to install it on, we'll stick to the standards that you get (either MySQL or PostgreSQL).

Incidentally, if you are looking for a smallish type database, the best is probably SQL Anywhere, it's based on the old Watcom SQL, and completly ANSI-99 standard, and knocks Access into a cocked hat performance wise (I've seen it handled over 200 connected users on a multiprocessor box, which it handles without extra config, Access barfs when you get into double figures)

I notice Joel mentioned using a WikiWiki server for collaborative editing. I've never used one myself, but I notice there there are a few free ones on sourceforge.

If this is a good idea, I could shuffle my apps around a bit and install one of them......