Re: Vexillae

From: dzo01 <dzo_at_...>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 16:28:11 -0000

Nope, Dave Pearton. Late of the Seattle Farmers Collective and now happily ensconced in the French Alps... Yak = "Large hairy bovine creature of limited intelligence and low social graces", plus, of course, the fact that I spend most of my time throwing myself off waterfalls in very small kayaks.

> N.B. For further issues on the perspicacity of Lunar tactics, I
refer
> you to the works of Waimondo Montequackoli, Supreme Pontificator
in
> the Operational Application of Myth in Theory and Practice at the
> University of Nochet, and author of "War: an Extension of Myth
> Through Military Means?" (Nochet 1615 S.T.) and "'Twixt Volsaxing
and
> Vingan: Divers Military Recollections from an Eventful Career"
(Sog
> City 1617 S.T.). Those who are particularly patient should also
check
> out the soon to be released "The Martial Races of Dragon Pass" (3
> Volumes; in press).

I will, of course, spend as much time with this eminent volume as I do with Clauswitz (or whatever his name it)...

<snip< Lots of good stuff.

> v) vexillae are almost uniformly composed of 'Lunar' regiments, of
> which approaximately 48 appear within the Imperial order of
battle.
> The chances of non-Lunar Dara Happan, even Pelandan etc.
regiments,
> steeped in their own intransigent traditions, submitting their
ranks
> to the open-minded, enlightened processes of Sedenyic military
> inclusion are probably zilch. And the chances of many Lunar
> commanders persisting long enough to achieve any breakthrough with
> such morons are commensurate with such.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with this. The basis of the lunar way and lunar magic is "We are all us!". I think the entire idea of the vexillae is that they are inclusive and thus allow the Lunars (most specifically the YT commanders) the maxium benit from all the disparate elements from all the empire. This is one of the chief mysteries of the Goddess and I don't think the army, as a major instrument of her will, would be lacking in this respect. It is also IMO, much more MGF! I try to keep the direct comparisons with real world military to a minimum. In my opinion they tend to hinder more than help when thinking mythically...

At any rate, the precice disposition of forces, into one or multiple vexillia can be made by individual narrators based on their needs. I have not interest in creating a flowchart of operational command for each phase of the seige!

Cheers,
Yak