Re: Heortland Civil War

From: jeffrichard68 <richj_at_...>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 17:32:55 -0000

Ian:
> >>Hargrand the Green reestablishes the Volsaxi at Whitewall circa
> >>1400 (prior to that the Volsaxar were at Kartenstead).
>
> And I think Whitewall is not seen as that practical for living in
> (hence the comments about it never becoming the city its founders
> dreamed of in DP:LoT). It's value is as a fortress and a symbol -
> this makes Hargrand move his seat there. It is a place to live in
> time of conflict (therbey having a Helm's Deep role)
>
> Tarkalor brings the Volsaxi links with Satar when they join froces
> against the Kitori (who I assume are expanding out of Marzeel,
> perhaps with the excuse of Night Jumper provocation)

Yeah this all works for me. See my previous post on Whitewall.

> An early draft of DP:LOT had more kingdom and prime movers
> information. Broyan was identified as King of the Volsaxi.My guess
> is that the conflict with the King of Heortland has been an ongoing
> to-and-fro struggle only exacarbated by Rikard.

Do you remember any of this? Can we get some of the early draft ideas? Might help us a lot.

> Perhaps Broyan's association with the Larnsti may be part of a
> strategy to abandon notions of the Kingdom of Heortland with the
> death of the Pharoah and insead opt for restoration the Hendrieki
> tribe. But if that restoration is his desire then he must be aware
> that Hendriek's heir is found amongst the Larnsti, so Broyan must
> become one of the Lanrsti (i.e. join their hero band) to qualify.

This fits in perfectly with my vision of Broyan and the Hendreiki. On at least one mythical level, Broyan *is* Hendreik the Free. He resists the Lunar Empire just as Hendreik resisted the Bright Empire. He will not ultimately defeat the Lunars (just as Hendreik did not defeat the Bright Empire) but by remaining free and unbowed, he creates the hope and opportunities for others (Vargast and Harmast, Kallyr and Argrath). As a result, I want to have many Hendreik ties to Whitewall and Broyan. I think that Broyan is deliberately exploiting and in some circumstances even creating those ties.

Later on, I think Broyan starts identifying himself with Vargast Redhand.

> However I'm not sure that Broyan's Larnsti are the same as the
> original form which Hendriek would know - change is after all in
> their nature. That decision by Broyan potentially places additional
> restictions upon him, restrictions that my hem him in over time. I
> get the impression that Broyan is seemed as doomed by making short-
> term choices.

Sure. He has to make short-term choices, because every choice he makes is a survival choice.

Let's not get too hung up on the Larnsti. All that matters is that they are a magical order or brotherhood that was formed by Hendreiki in his fight to resist the Bright Empire. Freedom, liberty and independence - the Larnsti way. We need to eventually write up the Larnsti heroband though and it should provide clues as to how Hendreik resisted Lokomoko and the Bright Empire.

> I suspect some fo this may also be at the heart of any
Kallyr/Broyan
> conflict. Kallyr is looking to the longer-term picture of
liberation
> from the Empire and looking northwards, Broyan is looking to the
> impact and laegacy of the Pharoah and is looking south and west.
> Differing priorities, perhaps even different long-term magical
> goals. For Broyan the final ending at Whitewall, fleeing Hendriek
> like from under the noses of those who think they have captured him
> might be his goal, re-creating Hendriek's resistance strategy in
the
> first age. Kallyr may not want to accept such a defeat.

Hendreik can resist the Empire indefinitely but can't defeat it. Kallyr wants to defeat it. Harmast defeated the Empire.....

Jeff