Re: Quick Sketch of Whitewall

From: Jimbruce <john.hughes_at_...>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 10:12:29 -0000

> They *did*, at the end. 23 Orlanthi, wasn't it?

23 bodies. No prisoners. Empty city. In the final assault the rocks and walls and umbroli must have done all the fighting.

And the 23 probably included statues. :)

Typical isn't it. The humans all escape and the umbroli & undines get annihilated down to the very last sparrow fart and grain of sand. Pure speciest. They really should form a union.

> > Even Shargashi wouldn't try to
> > assault that unless
> > a moonboat dropped them directly on the temple of
> > Orlanth.

With a moon boat action you could drop onto say the roof of the high king's hall and fight your way outward. Or kill your target and flee.

I don't have a problem with Lunars raiding the city that infrequently, either with wyverns, moon boats, eagle riders, or by direct hero tunnelling.

As long as they can somehow avoid the massed god-like Umbroli that thunder and boom about the Air Temple.

Random thought: most burnable parts of the city probably burned pretty early. Luckily for the defenders, WW is largely rock and stone.

> Then get a moon-boat. In RW terms I agree with you.
> But Glorantha has magic, and flying troops.

Send in the Moon Boats! I can see a need for them almost from day one actually, given the difficulty of climbing the plateau, the frequent ambush points, the single road with wooden bridges spanning impossible precipices, and ease of attack-Umbroli taking out said bridges.

But they'd be primarily used for supply runs. Much too costly to risk about the Temple.

Ho about an Orlanthi Air ship for running out refugees when Kallyr stops playing Vinga the Avenger and remembers Vinga Hearthguard? Are their precedents for this? Or can anyone suggest a rationale or myth?

John