Re: Vexillae

From: Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_...>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 02:36:18 -0800 (PST)

I like your approach Stu!
Are you a fellow pro-Lunar guy? ;)
We need to ally soon, else Broyan will win this battle anyway!

> N.B. For further issues on the perspicacity of Lunar
> tactics, I refer
> you to the works of Waimondo Montequackoli, Supreme
> Pontificator in
> the Operational Application of Myth in Theory and
> Practice at the
> University of Nochet, and author of "War: an
> Extension of Myth
> Through Military Means?" (Nochet 1615 S.T.) and

Ehy, are you suggesting that Machiavelli is a Duck in Glorantha??

> "'Twixt Volsaxing and
> Vingan: Divers Military Recollections from an
> Eventful Career" (Sog
> City 1617 S.T.). Those who are particularly patient
> should also check
> out the soon to be released "The Martial Races of
> Dragon Pass" (3
> Volumes; in press).

What about the countless volumes produced by Shargashi, Dara Happans, Pelandans, Carmanian over Siegecraft (i don't buy that other greco word)? A simple Irrippi "Summon Volumes on topis: War" over WW would crush the fortress better than the Bat!

> i) a vexilla is an operationally and magically
> flexible unit, created
> by Lunar army officers to achieve a specific
> tactical or operational
> goal, be it mundane, mythic or whatever. The
> magnitude of this goal
> can vary, and officers can use all their mythic and
> military
> intuition to decide upon how the unit is formed.
> Personally, I favour
> an Auftrag system, wherein senior commanders
> communicate an
> objective, and local oh-so-flexible and genius Lunar
> commanders (!)
> open their minds to the beneficent glow of the
> Goddess and form task
> forces from available forces.

I agree.

> ii) as has Donald has suggested, vexillae can be
> changed according to
> the goals required. A vexilla afterall is a military
> heroband, under
> the command of a Lunar officer. Vexillae are formed
> to achieve the
> best magical coordination of troops; in such
> situations, with Lunar
> troops well versed in the concept's use (see below),
> the magical
> bonds and currents of command transcend mundane
> differences.

Yup.

> iii) it would be highly appropriate for a local
> commander to attempt
> to mould his besieging army into a single large
> force during elements
> of the siege, though this might stretch his magic.
> It would perhaps
> be efficacious, however, to forge troops into local
> vexillae, based
> on sector and focus of operations e.g. North Wall
> Watch, East Gate
> etc. This would be necessary on the prosecution of
> an assault, when
> elements of the besieging forces would begiven
> localised goals to
> achieve, requiring a coalition of force. A small
> assault group that
> can weld magic, shock, missile fire and aerial
> support on a local,
> magically enhanced level is a very powerful force,
> and the very
> essence of Lunar military effectiveness.

great!

> iv) the state of troops available to commanders will
> vary. At lull
> times, it will be easiest to garrison second line
> regiments in the
> locality. At times of assault, I still see the
> Lunars drawing in
> elements of their best troops, yes some local, but
> others bivouacked
> beyond the attritions of siege warfare, and forging
> them into
> specially created vexillae. Do I see these operating
> alone? Nope, I
> definitely see whole regiments of other provenance
> fighting alongside
> them. But that's their own fault for being
> philistines.

of course!

> v) vexillae are almost uniformly composed of 'Lunar'
> regiments, of
> which approaximately 48 appear within the Imperial
> order of battle.
> The chances of non-Lunar Dara Happan, even Pelandan
> etc. regiments,
> steeped in their own intransigent traditions,
> submitting their ranks
> to the open-minded, enlightened processes of
> Sedenyic military
> inclusion are probably zilch. And the chances of
> many Lunar
> commanders persisting long enough to achieve any
> breakthrough with
> such morons are commensurate with such.

yes, but what is zilch like?

> vi) vexillae are commanded a Fereshori, who in all
> but the most
> extreme of circumstances will be a devotee of
> Yanafal Tarnils. In
> those few necessary exceptions, he/she will be an
> initiate. The
> concept of the vexilla always used to be indivisble
> from the concept
> of Yanafalian command, though these days the
> 'Military Magic' feat
> seems to have gone by the wayside. Shame, I quite
> liked that.

> If and when the investment of Whitewall becomes more
> 'Lunar' in
> character, I'd still humbly suggest the efficacies
> of the especial
> creation of multiple vexillae for the all-out
> assault, as I'd
> originally suggested.

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Search - Find what you�re looking for faster http://search.yahoo.com