Re: A stab at the geology

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 14:55:01 +0000

Jane:

>>The hard outer edges of this bone can be a
>>nice white rock,
>>strong if that is what people wish.
>>

>"Strong" is good. "Shiny" and "pretty" would also be
>advantages.
>

>>*folks, pegmatite means a rock with very big
>>crystals.
>>

>"Shiny"? "Pretty"?

A white feldspar:
http://mineral.galleries.com/minerals/silicate/albite/albite.jpg Another type of feldspar:
http://mineral.galleries.com/minerals/silicate/bytownit/bytownit.jpg And another:
http://mineral.galleries.com/minerals/silicate/orthocla/orthocla.jpg An obviously Ernaldan feldspar (which would be found in the same geological formations):
http://mineral.galleries.com/minerals/silicate/microcli/microcli.jpg

Here we have a chunk of calcite crystals from limestone: http://mineral.galleries.com/minerals/carbonat/calcite/calcite2.jpg Another limestone-associated calcite-variant: http://mineral.galleries.com/minerals/CARBONAT/ARAGONIT/aragonit.jpg I assume we all know quartz (obviously, unlike this picture, much of the rock will be cryptocrystalline (crystals too small to see)) : http://mineral.galleries.com/minerals/gemstone/rock_cry/roc-65.jpg

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic