Re: Sesarto the Artist and Whitewall Building materials

From: jorganos <joe_at_...>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 21:19:26 -0000

My problem is not the definition of "Silver Age". But then, the rivalry story works also with Whitewall there but uninhabited at the Dawn.
>> I can live with limestone, but I find the limestone everywhere
>> approach sort of boring, and it makes for comparatively bad
>> agricultural land everywhere around. And we have only Valind's Loess
>> soil to mitigate the bad fertility of limestone.

> OK geologists - is there another big rock that would look like the
> Acrocorinth and be really hard? Doesn't matter much at all to me.
> Rocks are rocks (and I am not a rock).:)

> Jeff

As Stu said so correctly, from a distance almost any rock looks like a rock. Part of the reason for this is the surface vegetation (yes, on so-called bare rock): bacteria, algae and lichen form a layer on and within the rock, given sufficient time (and humidity). To have a look at the rock itself, geologists usually hit it with a hammer.

I have lived among pegmatite formations looking very much like the Acrocorinth. Water erosion looks slightly different, but what the heck, the hydrogeology suffered from reverse flow for several ages.

I've looked at Queen Maeve's Mound above Sligo and had a similar feeling of rightness. And I've stood on the plateau of Tara hating the idea of having to attack this uphill even if skyclad.

I expanded the link section by a few links to historical sieges, including one to a sketch of Alesia with Caesar's double ring around it. Feel free to add more.