RE: Leika

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 14:19:42 -0800

Jane:

> Yet another fragment I found while looking for
> something entirely different.
> KoS p 211
> "Leika "Beti" Orlkensorsdotter, Taraling clan.
> [Colymar king from] 1613-1615. ... cast out by her own
> tribe. She lived with King Broyan then and helped slay
> the Crimson Bat."

        I saw this yesterday. We need to work Leika into this.

        In my Colymar game, Leika is part of the Taraling ruling bloodline soap opera. Kallai and Beneva Chan have four warrior sons and two daughters (one is a Colymar priestess at Clearwine, the other is a Babeester Gor Axe Maiden in the Holy Country). Kangarl "the Blackmoor" is the son of Kallai's brother who died at Grizzley Peak and was raised as Kallai's own son. Kangarl is a Starkval initiate who violently hates his enemies - whoever they are. He has a powerful Hate Foes feat and works himself into a dangerous battle rage. Leika is the daughter of one of Kallai's cousins and is an initiate of Vinga Drogarsi with a pretty powerful archery feat.

        Kangarl served as Warleader for the Colymar during Kallai's reign. He fought the enemies of the Colymar - the Locaem, Sun County, the Lunars, whoever. He was also there at the Skirmish at the Hill of Orlanth Victorious, accompanied by his Wooden Sword battle-companions. Kangarl led the Colymar to war against the Lunars in Starbrow's Rebellion and was later exiled by the Lunars.

        Leika was not as involved in Starbrow's Rebellion. She was involved in the Wooden Sword's trip to Snakepipe Hollow that was contemporary with much of the Rebellion and when Kallai and Kangarl was exiled, she was seen as a good compromise candidate for the traditionalist clans who nonetheless accepted that they had been defeated by the Lunars. Kallai and Beneva Chan accept outlawry in Heortland, Kangarl wanders.

        Kangarl has a crisis of faith and concludes that Orlanth is too weak to defend the Colymar from their traditional foes and from their Tarshite overlord. He hates his foes and concludes the Lunars aren't his foes - the other tribes and the Tarshites are. Kangarl (and his cousin Darsten, a Taraling god-talker) are converted to the Lunar way by Andereida of the Coders. Kangarl plots with the Lunars to have part of the Colymar regalia (the Ring of Command) stolen from Leika - he knows that the other clans are frustrated with the extortionate taxes the Lunars demand, the loss of the Zethnoring (one of the Five Old Clans) and the breakup of the Tree Triarchy. Leika, although a fair and decent leader, cannot deliver what her people want - lower taxes and autonomy. Kangarl can.

        In 1615 the Ring of Command is stolen and the regalia incomplete. Kangarl uses this as an excuse for his supporters (especially among the Orlmarth, Hiording and Runegate clans) to remove Leika from the kingship of the tribe. Kangarl is also assisted by various Lunars - including (IMC) Andrega Silverflame. Kangarl is not seen as a Lunar symp - he is Kangarl the Rabid who was outlawed by the Lunars. Needless to say, many of Kangarl's early supporters are quickly disappointed and when the Orlmarth, Anmangarn and Ernaldori clans rebel, he brutally puts down their rebellion with his Lunar allies and establishes the Nymie Valley slave farm (which supports the Silverflames). Later he takes more land from the Anmangarn and establishes the Black Oak as his "personal" clan.

        Meanwhile, Leika has been exiled and travels to the south to take refuge in the hall of King Broyan.

        Jeff