Re: Broyan's family

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 18:16:11 +0000 (GMT)

> Here's my concern about giving any children: they
> might survive. Thematically it is important that
> Broyan is the Last King of Heortland. He will do
> remarkable things and set into motion things that
> forever change the Heortlings - but his line must
> die with him.

That's *our* opinion of what's dramatically appropriate, but I think we have to leave it up to each Narrator whether they want that, or potential hidden heirs for future plot. They have till 1625 to kill off any spares, after all.

> This also gives the detachment to take the insane
> gamble that he does.

Ah, but that's the point. It would be a great deal easier for him to take all those chances if he had no kin tying him down, I agree. But since when did we want to make it easy for him? No, he risks and sacrifices his kin: not the potential of ever having any, but actual real people.

I wonder what it feels like to *be* the heir who knows a curse is going to kill them young? How do they react?

Jane Williams