Melisande, Narib, et al.

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 09:11:58 -0000

So already the Malkioni are making a presence felt at Whitewall. Here is a quick dump on my thougts on this. we can turn this into a wiki entry if folks want. I thought I would get v1.0 comments first.

We have Melisande, Broyan's current girlfriend. We also know there is company of the Army of Tomorrow (the notes I have seem suggest they take heavy casulties, but Sir Narib, not the original commander is among the survivors). Who else? And what are the southerners and Malkioni doing at whitewall?

At first glance the southerners and Malkioni are parts of the very Andrini regime of the Pharoah Broyan was fighting against and do not seem to be allies of the rebellious Volsaxi. But the usurpation of the crown by Rikard may have changed this. Rikard's brand of crusading Rokarism, and religious zeal, would have made an enemy of the 'heretics' of the Aeolian and Church of Tomorrow. Esvulari nobility may well have been deplaced by Rokari mercenaries from their ancestral fiefs. I think Joerg sees this as a very Ivanhoe set up, I could be wrong. It's not a bad parallel: Saxon lords forced into exile by Norman invaders hiding amidst the Welsh or Scots. This might make Broyan and Melisande's year marriage very political. It may be the mark of their alliance between old foes, important to the Esvulari to signify the alliance but a distraction to Broyan who may see it as a potential fetter to bind him. These guys provide extra muscle to Broyan, but there will be tensions. These are old enemies after all, some of these me may have faced each other in combat, now joined by the threat of a common enemy - Rikard. But with the arrival of the Lunars, and Rikard's deposal, there will be a dramatic change in the political landscape.

If the Lunars get wind of Melisande she might be a poweful ritual weapon - a fetter to bind the Larnsti and prevent his escape. At least for the year-marriage. In their prison she may go all Stockholm syndrome and convert to the Moon. If she becomes a Nathan when she converts, drawn by the power of revenge, she might grow to be a powerful heroquesting enemy for Broyan. Silly overlooked girl becomes avenging harridan.

More important may be the reaction of her kin. With Rikard deposed do they choose to fight the Lunars or join them. We know the Lunars through Fazzur have used the strategy of betrayal from within to bring down another impregnal fortress (Jansholm DP:LoT), might they try that again. We know that the AoT fight on, but do the Esvulari. DP suggests that the aeloian Chirch is an acceptable face of Orlanth for the Empire, a tool they can work with, and their resoration of ld lands and power to those deposed by Rikard in key locations could buy them allies. For their old holding will the Esvluari betray Broyan. And if they do betray him, how many, and how damaging is that betrayal to Whitewall.

I suspect this happens early in the siege. After the bat many who are not committed to Broyan's cause may find other offers tempting...