RE: Re: Melisande, Narib, - PC input!

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 15:00:14 -0800

> The NPCs should be
> strong, but not overpowering. Particularly in something like this
> where the broad outline is prescripted there should be a certain
> inevitability but the PCs must be able to play a very important role
> in the plot. For example I would let the actions of the PCs
> determine whether the final evacuation of the citadel is a desperate
> fearful retreat in the face of inevitable defeat or a cunning ruse
> and (in some way) victory. Thus, if the PCs are passive in the face
> of the comming defeat then this will colour how the final days go,
> but, if they are proactive and come up with good plans (and convince
> Broyan, etc) then the ending will be a victory of sorts for them.
> And these things will carry on over to the rest of the campaign. If
> they fled WW willy-nilly they will be hunted fugitives, etc while if
> they managed to do soimething "positive" the whole tenor of the
> events afterward would change. All this IMHO.

And fully supported by me. I think this is a valuable guide for writing any scenarios involving Whitewall. We know the basic results: the Bat is defeated, Whitewall holds out until Darkness Season 1621, and Broyan and companions escape to Ice Refuge. The players should not be able to prevent any of those events. But they can still make a huge difference on how those events are handled and they should be in the thick of them.

For those of us who are using WW as the backdrop to OiD and the rest of Sartar Rising, there should be carry-over. Did the characters impress or earn the contempt of NPCs like Broyan, Kallyr, Leika, etc? Did they learn new heroquest boons or come up out crippled? Or both? Lots and lots and lots of roleplaying opportunities here.

Jeff