RE: CHARACTERS: Broyan

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 10:52:35 -0800 (PST)

For what it is worth (given that my ignorance of things Heortlending is probably higher than the average for this group), I tend to agree with Peter (note the date -- this is a rarity) on a couple of points --

First, I fail to see how Broyan can be both (a) an ultratraditionalist Vingotling High King and (b) an unbounded Larnsti heroquester. I tend toward the position that he is a Vingotling who has discovered a way to effectively lead a band of Larnsti, perhaps drawing on the leadershiop powers of Vingkot. I don't think he is, at core, a Larnsti. From my perspective, I think his attempt to become the High King of the Summer Tribes is pretty hubristic; why add more to it?

Second, I agree that he cannot be a simple white-hat. He is a tragic figure whose ambition causes his own demise -- as a leader by inviting in the Wolf Pirates and literally at
that-later-battle-the-name-of-which-I-can't-remember-because-I'm-too-ignorant-of-heortland-history.  Simplicity and perfection are uninteresting.

Jeff Richard:
> I do not think that we should have the lead
> Orlanthi hero hate Orlanth.

I think that is oversimplifying things. Jonathan's point was broader -- why do bad things happen to good Orlanthi. This can lead to hate, envy, confusion, temper tantrums, etc. Perhaps Broyan's question is why Heort defeated the Hidden Kings, because Broyan must know (as a Vingkotling Hidden King, assuming that's the characterization) that he could be deposed by a Heortling re-enacting that quest; in particular, why did Orlanth abandon his son in favor of Heort?

Chris Lemens

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - More reliable, more storage, less spam http://mail.yahoo.com