Re: Re: Imperial Army ranks

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 23:26:59 +0000 (GMT)

> We really do not expect you poor benighted
> barbarians to understand
> such notions as "military organisation", or have
> read (if indeed they can read)

Read????

> the most recent Lunar Excursus, but we are
> given to
> believing that a regiment consists of several of
> your "gaggles", "herds" or "warbands", i.e. 500,
> 700, 800, 900 or 1,000 (if full-strength).

> Regimental strengths depend on tradition, and vary a
> lot. I thought you'd be happy to read that...)

Ah, something like a Humakti Legion, then. 1000 at full strength. Probably about 50 in practise.

> (ILH-1, p. 14. If you can stomach to read about such
> things :)

Oh, I can stomach to read it. I'm just pointing out that when (if) this lot gets "published", it needs to stand alone, not require looking up in some book that we may not even possess. Or, come to that, *want* to possess.

> > Saying a title means the same as some other title
> > we've never heard of either doesn't help.
>
> You must forgive us, but some of us like all this
> colour among the
> Lunars. Same as you like all this made-up barbarian
> history.

Fine, go ahead. Enjoy. Just make the end result meaningful and useable without assuming the reader knows what titles in *any* army mean, whether that's modern, ancient, or Gloranthan.

Jane Williams