Re: Imperial Army ranks

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 00:16:19 -0000

Actually, I've just had a 'brilliant' but stupid idea. When in the Roman Republic two consuls (or proconsuls) were in the field, they would have to devolve command somehow; sometimes on the basis of seniority, sometimes on a 'day on-day off' basis. This had horrendous implications, not least in the conflict betwee Varro and Aemilius Paullus (the elder) at Cannae. That got me thinking...

Lunar armies should be run by *two* commanders, one symbolising the light red element of the moon, the other the dark shadow. They should command the armies together, exerting their influence in relative amounts as based on 'their' phase of the moon, mixing responsibilities as only those illuminated into the contradictions of Sedenya can.

The powers of each commander would wax and wane in the field in perfect accordance with the Lunar cycle. As is proper.

<snigger>

Stu.