Re: Re: Imperial Army ranks

From: Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_...>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 02:56:13 -0800 (PST)

yes, I agree. It's a rank tied to an errand. So Jorkandros, IMO, is Commander only as long as he has the imperial mandate (or the provincial mandate from Appius Luxius, I'm uncertain about that) to conquer Volsaxar/Whitewall. He is not a Commander out of birth rights, IMO.

> 2-3 DEPUTIES
> Holding the same rank as all the other regimental
> officers in the
> army, which is after all the highest permanent rank
> outside of any
> administrative posts or Warlordship; but empowered
> as sub-commanders
> of elements of the force simply as a function of the
> COMMANDER saying
> so, and thus other regimental commanders having to
> obey.

Ok, they are the advisors and aidees de camps of the commander: engineering deputy, cavalry deputy, infantry deputy; deputy is a rather disappointing title, anyway; is there no option for a more colourful title?

> If they're Solar (or even of other cultures), they
> may secure 'fluff
> ranks', but I would suggest that other officers
> followed them as they
> were the COMMANDER'S *chosen intermediaries*, not
> because of any D-H
> or other rank. I suppose I view them as being an
> extension of
> Jorkandros or Tatius, not an independent lower
> commander. But strong-
> willed chaps might...

ok

> ~10ish REGIMENTAL COMMANDERS

"generals" or "tribunes"

> Who are all of equal rank in the scheme of things
> but argue
> interminibly among themselves over precedence and
> tradition.

unless the commander tells them to stop doing so; they are part of the same army and they aren't suppose to argue when a horde of barabarians are screaming for blood over there.

I suppose there are more than 10 such men, BTW: probably in late 1620 they are two dozens or so.

Gian

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - More reliable, more storage, less spam http://mail.yahoo.com