Re: Kings of Heortland

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 00:08:33 +1300

At 05:42 PM 3/13/04 -0800, you wrote:

>I'm just playing around with dates and events for Heortland. Please let
>me know of any published king of Heortland that this contradicts. I
>don't have names yet - and I'm open to suggestions. All dates are
>approximate and open to change. As is just about everything else.

I don't think any of the kings were Esvulari because the Malkioni weren't appointed as Sheriffs and Nobles until after Rikard's ascension. Prior to that the Malkioni were excluded from such offices.

There's no indication of Pharaonic events or controversies in the list nor is there any sign of menaces from the Print, the Praxians, the Wind Children, the Kitori, the Black Arkati and the Opening. Political crap can also be expected from Esrolia, the Shadow Plateau and God Forgot.

I also think feel the circumstances surrounding Sartar's emigration was more significant than just a dispute with the king.

So rather than the Hendreiki, Heortland and Esvulari phrases, I suggest the following thematic stages:

  1. Reformation. Starts in 1325. The Andrini Kings establish the Nobles and the Sheriffs. Early attempts are slow, although two Waves into Dragon Pass are noted (both around 1325 which is almost certainly a mistake).

Border disputes with the Kitori and God Forgot. These are essential in defining the Sixths within the Holy Country.

Major problems with Jaldon Toothmaker late in this stage. I think the Heortlanders work in co-operation with Derik Pol-Joni and also (re)-establish Knight Fort and the Marcher Barons.

Ends in 1425 with the revolt of Hadrad the Green and the establishment of the Volsaxar. No attempt is made to conquer this or other pharaonic rebels (Kitori for the Shadow Plateau, Machine City for God Forgot, High Temple for Caladraland etc). Although the Volsaxar and the others are vehemently opposed to the Pharaoh, they stabilize the Holy Country magically and there is little strife between the Sixths and their corresponding rebel territories. A weakness is that in northern Heortland, the Volsaxar and the Kitori are adjacent to each other and the enchanted harmony of the Holy Country cannot prevent these rebel reservations from fighting each other.

2) Classic phase. Begins in 1425.

The limits of the Sixths having been marked out, they experiment with philosophies from other sixths in order to explore their own element. Heortland takes upon Malkioni customs from God Forgot while the practices of other sixths are less marked but still discernable. This widens the gulf between the Sixths and their corresponding rebel reservations although Harmony still persists.

A major consequence of this development is that the Larnsti Sartar undertakes a major transformation leaving the Heortland and the Holy Country, which happens in 1470 or so.

The developments appear to increase the animosity between the Kitori and the Volsaxar. This flares into open war in which the Kitori at first overrun the Volsaxar. While the Holy Country dithers over how to restore the balance, Tarkalor frees the Volsaxar from their bondage.

The crowning development of the magical experimentations of this phase is Dormal's Opening the Oceans in 1580. It also marks the end of the phase.

3) Opening. The seas are opened. Each of the Sixths are visited in some way by outsiders. In Heortland's case, this is Malkioni knights. They disrupt the established constitution of the kingdom by their presence. By the time the Pharaoh disappears, the foreign knights are a significant political presence.

The Pharaoh's disappearance also marks the release of the rebel reservations from the harmony of the Holy Country as they begin to look at ways of expanding their territories.

--Peter Metcalfe