Re: Re: Imperial Army ranks

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 04:23:59 GMT

In message <c306v8+10jtc_at_...> "Stewart Stansfield" writes:

>I don't wish to pre-empt anyone elses thoughts or processes, but I've
>an inkling that the final result will be something along the lines of:
>
>COMMANDER
>"Warlord of the Imperial Army"--given the post as a function of his
>commanding the siege; small bit about Dara Happan rank as character
>fluff for Jorkandros and Tatius.
>
>2-3 DEPUTIES
>Holding the same rank as all the other regimental officers in the
>army, which is after all the highest permanent rank outside of any
>administrative posts or Warlordship; but empowered as sub-commanders
>of elements of the force simply as a function of the COMMANDER saying
>so, and thus other regimental commanders having to obey.
>
>If they're Solar (or even of other cultures), they may secure 'fluff
>ranks', but I would suggest that other officers followed them as they
>were the COMMANDER'S *chosen intermediaries*, not because of any D-H
>or other rank. I suppose I view them as being an extension of
>Jorkandros or Tatius, not an independent lower commander. But strong-
>willed chaps might...
>
>~10ish REGIMENTAL COMMANDERS
>Who are all of equal rank in the scheme of things but argue
>interminibly among themselves over precedence and tradition.
>
>So I wouldn't worry. At an overall level I see it as being that
>simple. Donald? Alex? Martin? Dave? Gian?

Except there are at least three Warlords in the area - Fazzur, Tatius and Jorkandros with that order of status at the start. And it is illogical that there aren't more independent operations than Jorkandros's at WW.

>This is basically what is intimated in ILH for the 'Lunar' system of
>command, as far as I can see. Rather than being rigid actual ranks,
>subsidiary officers are empowered to act on the Warlord's authority
>as he sees fit, I'd guess. Naturally he'd try and get his favourites,
>but other political decisions ay hold sway.

It's very similar to the British Army of the Napoleonic wars where officially the highest rank was Colonel and generals were appointed from that rank for a particular campaign. The positions were still filled at brigade, division and corps level and I don't believe it is possible to organise an army of that size without them. This also means that in the event of a general being killed there is a clear choice of replacement.

Once the numbers build up under Tatius there *must* be several subordinate generals who have the Emperor's authority because they may be required to operate independently.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/