Re: Imperial Army ranks

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 13:45:35 -0000

Donald:
> Except there are at least three Warlords in the area - Fazzur,
Tatius
> and Jorkandros with that order of status at the start. And it is
> illogical that there aren't more independent operations than
Jorkandros's
> at WW.

Personally, I'd be tempted to revise my idea that a Warlord commanded the siege, at least in the early stages. For example, I'd instead suggest that Jorkandros constitued a subordinate commander. On the face of it this goes hand in glove with Donald's situation... but the issue is how he is chosen and what power/rank does he hold?

In my post, I don't argue against subordinate commanders, but there is a difference on how they might be chosen or function. I can see three big possibilities:

(i) there is a standing system of 'general ranks' in the Imperial Army for senior officers, across several cultures--or just on a Lunar stage; 'generals' possess their rank, but the lack of organised brigades, divisions, etc. means that it is nominal only in times of peace. In war, some of this roster will be called to serve under a Warlord.

(ii) there is no standing system of ranks (outside of posts like Dean of the College of Magic, etc.), but the Ordenviru promotes several promising, capable or political persons on the eve of the campaign as subsidiary officers, under the Warlord (to try and insert a little Ordenviru control, perhaps).

(iii) no standing ranks (as ii), but the Warlord himself possesses the powers to appoint subordinates in certain positions, as he wishes. Consider this an approach more in line with Roman Dictators than Consuls.

There is also the possibility of mixing all three, particularly the latter two. (Oh dear) My mail favoured (iii), though I do think an interleavening with (ii) is useful. The Ordenviru might not wish to give *total* command to a Warlord, after all...

Do subordinates have actual hierarchical ranks? Personally I favor functional titles that illustrate their use--and limited realm of control--such as 'Master of Horse', 'Breaker of the East Wall', 'Prefect of the Camp', etc. Again, other cultures might conflate these with their own cultural notation, which might be based on hierarchies.

> Once the numbers build up under Tatius there *must* be several
> subordinate generals who have the Emperor's authority because they
> may be required to operate independently.

I don't disagree, but would suggest that a couple of options exist for this. Subsidiary commanders chosen by the Ordenviru to accompany the Warlord would naturally allow options for independent command; or the Warlord could possess 'In-field-dictatorial' powers that allow him to generate and despatch his own subordinates. Or a mix of both.

Even with (iii), that can happen. Pongus is Warlord, and thus the instrument of the Moonson's wishes. Likewise, his subordinates are implements of his wishes... and by association the Emperor. As the Warlord is a military autocrat, Pongus' orders for the campaign will be followed. Pongus may specify a subordinate to take command on his incapacity. Such a person would control the force--as the Warlord had ordered--until protocol dictated that he was confirmed in the rank himself, or a new Warlord was sent to the front.

You may think this is a little indistinct. But I'm trying to suggest a couple of alternatives--namely that it is possible to have military hierarchies without clear 'military ranks', but nevertheless an idea of precedence in the field. If avenues for smaller operations suggested themselves, a fereshori and vexilla could be dispatched, or a force led by a subordinate given a clear mandate. It could amusingly clash with other subordinates, of course, but that's where the fun comes in.

In brief--my approach is Warlord --> subordinates doing Warlords duty, within a definite mandate.

The Warlord (or Ordenviru) might delegate a senior deputy. He doesn't have a specific rank, his name and position suffices. Other subordinates are functional--and may choose a deputy to help themselves--rather than based in a hierarchical chain. The fairly autocratic and hands-on form of Warlord command helps this. This rather alien to modern concepts of rank, but does in my eyes hold a few links with Martin's words on Lunar command and elements of older armies.

That's my Lunar 'base', which can then be moulded to suit the character of the commander himself. I'm just throwing it out there as an alternative and discussion point.

Cheerio,

Stu.