RE: Re: CHARACTERS: Broyan

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 09:36:53 -0800

All good points Chris. This is very helpful in helping hammer out Broyan as a character - although pretty soon we should start to figure out how he and his companions killed the Bat and how the defenders held out against the Lunar assaults. Some of what comes out of that will likely cause us to change Broyan's character.

> This makes sense as a political system. I have trouble
seeing

> Broyan fit the model perfectly -- which is OK with me. I
still see

> Broyan as too ambitious to be a perfect Larnsti king. His
> Vingkotling sensibilities seem very consistent with him being

> ambitious. The parallel to Jackson might work here.

        That works with me. Was Hendreik the perfect Larnsti king or should we postulate some post-Dragonkill(or post Machine City) perfect king? I think the latter.

> Broyan somehow subordinates his egotism sufficiently to be
accepted

> by the Larnsti, who see him as simply another ambitious
contender

> whose engeries can be harnessed for the sake of liberty. But
he is

> not devoted to their notions of liberty first and foremost.
I think

> he's devoted to himself as liberator first.

        Agreed.

> The difference could be
> simply in the defintion of liberty -- freedom from oppression
vs.

> freedom from foreign oppressors.

        Yeah - although I suspect to the Hendriki these concepts are inextricably intertwined. Hendreik's liberty is at base freedom from Lokamayadonism - who was not so much as a foreign as a new tyrant. Without trying to simplify this too much, Hendreiki freedom might just be the freedom to rule ourselves.

        > If we want him to appear (and be) noble, we should emphasize the

        > temptations he resisted in those quests. That by itself might be

        > enough to bring the Larnsti to his side. So, to summarize, I could

        > see him jostling around roughly inside the constraints imposed by

        > the Larnsti political system.

        I think Broyan is tempted many times. He ultimately resists the temptations of power - possible with the help of player characters.

> Depends on when you mean. At the beginning, they all would
have

> trouble knowing that he is a liberator before his actions
prove it,

> just like every other political system in existence. For
many, the

> presence of a Larnsti heroband at his side is proof of his
good

> intentions. How does he prove himself to the Larnsti?

        Actually at the beginning it is probably pretty easy - he presumably has joined the Larnsti (so he can be king in accordance with Hendreiki and not Andrini tradition - this makes him like Hardrand the Green) and he is willing to fight Rikard and then the leaders. He's the only guy they've got.

> If you mean at the end, Broyan seems to be pursuing aims
other than

> Orlanthi liberty or at least does so by extraordinarily
foolish

> measures -- he invites in the Wolf Pirates and invades
Esrolia,

> right? I don't really see the Larnsti loving those ideas.

         I'm not sure that is that big of a deal for them - Hendreik allied with Arkat and that is worse than Harrek.

        Jeff