Re: CHARACTERS: Broyan

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 17:51:18 -0000

Jeff:
> Was Hendreik the perfect Larnsti king or
> should we postulate some post-Dragonkill
> (or post Machine City) perfect
> king? I think the latter.

No idea myself. My idea of a perfect Heortling King is one with lots of stuff to take just before I ride off on my Llama . . .

> > I think he's devoted to himself as liberator first.
> Agreed.

A little more color here: I can see Broyan saying something like: "I AM the Rebellion; I AM liberty!" With which many followers agree. But, on the other hand, I see some clan cheifs saying "You arrogant Volsaxar bastard, you're not liberty -- we all hold liberty in our Star Hearts. Get off our lands."

The point here is to allow dramatic possibilities through a tension between his Vingkotling arrogance and his Larnsti ideals. I think he believes that they are perfectly aligned because he identifies himself so completely with the Rebellion/Liberty, so the tensions are not visible to him.

> I think Broyan is tempted many times. He ultimately resists the
> temptations of power - possible with the help of player characters.

This works within Whitewall. I see him giving in to the temptations later.

> I'm not sure that is that big of a deal for them - Hendreik
> allied with Arkat and that is worse than Harrek.

But he did not seem so at first, right? Harrek has always been bad news. Arkat claimed he was a liberator.