RE: Volsaxi, Volsaxar, Vingkot

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 13:15:25 -0800

Howdy -

> > Thus it would make sense that Broyan was a Vingkot
Victorious and

> > Vingkot Allfather worshipper at the beginning of the siege.
> Isn't that more or less a given? What's not quite so clear
is _why_

> he's a VAF worshipper. Is it a function of the somewhat ad
hoc

> sounding (and actually ritually innovative, or somewhat
traditional?)

> High King of Volsaxar assumption of (I think) '17? Does it
date back to

> his being King of the Volsaxi, earlier (no idea about this
date), which

> I think is what Jeff is suggesting? Or is it essentially a
personal trope?

        I think that all the kings of the Volsaxar tribe and confederation follow rites of Vingkot Allfather (kingship restricted to a particular clan). Presumably, the Volsaxar ruling clan leads an over tribe that includes clan chieftains (of the Volsaxi clans) and tribal kings (of the Bacofi, Curtali and Sylangi). This, I think, is simply an extension of the traditional Volsaxar kingship that was established by the Hendreiki after the Gbaji wars.

> I hasten to add, obviously, it'd be most ultratraditional
type of

> 'innovation' possible...

        Broyan can be an ultratraditionalist and still embrace pretty radical innovations - the traditions I think he is harkening back to are over thirteen centuries old and can be seen as very old school Hendreiki. What do you call a guy that is harkening back to the late First Age (or maybe even the Vingkotling Age) other than ultratraditional!

> > the first big heroquest being to obtain a means of
defeating the

> > Crimson Bat (which brings us into the Vingkotling Age)
> What's the applicable myth here -- the 'original' killing of
the entity

> that becomes the Bat?

        I've been beating my head against the wall on this one - I think it should be an old Orlanthi myth and not a Rinliddi one. I think we are just going to have to make up a myth about Vingkot (or Orlanth or Helemakt) beating the snuff out a flying, unstoppable champion of the Fire Tribe. Maybe Jagrekriand (in which case we might want to have the Shargashi attack right before the Bat), maybe a heroic victory within Stormfall (which sets into motion the descent into Darkness), or maybe a Vingkotling Chaos Age myth about beating the stuffing out of some awful Chaos monstrosity that is attacking Vingkot's Hill Fort (again reimphasizing the Darkness).

        Any thoughts? Ian, Jon, John - you guys know of any never-before-written myths that might be lurking in your heads?

        Jeff