RE: Re: Volsaxi, Volsaxar, Vingkot

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:22:46 -0800

Howdy again -

BTW, I hope I'm not boring people with this insistence on deep background. It just seems to me that we need to know a bit more about the Volsaxi, the Hendriki and the Heortlendings to get some of the context of the siege.

> > However, when ***** Earl of Gardufar was selected
> > High King, the Volsaxi rebelled. King Hardrand the
> > Green - a member of the Larnsti brotherhood - was
> > proclaimed High King of the Hendreiki
> > despite of the Pharaoh's acknowledgement of the King
> > of the Heortlendings.
> So, this is where we get the first specific
> association between the Volsaxi kings and the Larnsti
> (as opposed to the general association that would be
> true of lots of Heortlendings).

        That's the thought. The Larnsti-Volsaxi association dates to Hardrand.

> > The Volsaxi aided Prince Tarkalor in conquering the
> > Kitori and formed the Volsaxar Confederation with
> > the other liberated tribes (Bacofi, Curtali, and
> > Sylangi).
> I think this is where we should specifically say that
> the Volsaxi brought the Larnsti to help the liberation
> from the Kitori. Their prior association with the
> royal line of the Volsaxi would be helpful. It also
> ties the Larnsti nicely to "freedom from foreign
> oppressors" rather than American libertarian notions.

        That works for me as well. For what it is worth, I do think that abstract concepts like "freedom" and "liberty" are very important to the Larnsti (although I doubt they have much relationship with modern libertarian ideas - I think of them as more Jacksonian or quoting speeches from Cato or Epaminondas).

> So, if Broyan descended from or related to Hardrand?
> Seems like he must be.

        I'm pretty sure he is descended from Hardrand.

        Jeff