Re: Lighthouse

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 19:17:33 -0000

Erm, I'm not one of them, but I just had a thought. As far as I was concerned, the lighting of the beacons in The Return of the King worked as a nice alternative to the Red Arrow, and allowed for some great scenic camerawork.

Looking at the maps of Heortland in TT and Dragon Pass in DoP:LoT, one notices a rather nice geography, where the foot hills and ridges of the Stormwalk Mountains are cut by rivers running at right angles to the range. In between these rivers the landscape rises into fingers of fell and hill-land, as seems to be shown on the maps.

If anyone ever wanted to invade Heortland from the North, it would seem great to build beacons on these successions of rise that run down from the mountains, so that a chain of warning fires could spring up in succession, and rush south. And allow cool camerawork :)

Naturally, Whitewall, given its importance and situation might house its own great beacon, being at the northernish end of this chain?

Cheerio,

Stu.