RE: Re: Volsaxi, Volsaxar, Vingkot

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 13:17:25 -0800

Joerg:

> > There were likely some Berrenethtelli in the new Hendreiki
- but

> > not a goodly portion.
> I'd like to trace the Runegate Triarchy back to the
Berennethtelli,

> via the Hendreiki.

        Sure - they were founded a long time ago by a Berennethtelli band who support Hendreik. Or something. Not really important for our purposes at WW, but the background should be flexible enough to handle that.

> I'd like to have some logical sequence for the Kitori
moments. I'm not

> happy with the notion that the Pharaoh sent them out to
punish the

> Volsaxi. If my ideas are about to be rerereGregged, so be it,
but this

> won't keep me from making suggestions.

        I like your suggestions and largely agree with them - please keep making them. My only concern is that in anything we draft for public consumption, we keep flexible and open to multiple interpretations.

> > Sure, or even 1300.
> The later we have them arrive, the stronger the trolls of the
Troll

> Woods will have recovered from the war against the dragonewts
and

> beastfolk. The other two tribes (Curtali and Sylangi) have no
warlike

> settlement story we know of, so they could be later.

        So wouldn't that make sense for a later settlement - that way they had to fight against the trolls in order to settle?

> We don't disagree. I meant "small in comparison to the
Jondalaring or
> Hurlant tribes", i.e. as one of the four large tribes of the
> Hendreiki. The other tribes were about double the size of the
Volsaxi.

        Ok. Sorry, my bad.

	The Kitori:

> There are few immutable facts about them:
> - they re-appeared early in the Modern Age.
> - they could be approached by Resettlers of Dragon Pass.
> - they held the lands around the Crossline until Tarkalor
ousted them.
> - they ambush Broyan in 1625 and kill our hero for a grudge.
> connection to the Plundering of the City of Wonders is
suggested in CHDP.
> We ought to make a few proposals, if not assumptions,
regarding the
> Volsaxar Lesser Tribe resettlement into Kitori-dominated
lands.

        I agree. Part of the reason I am so skittish about the Kitori is that they are (1) pretty important, (2) little is known about them, and (3) almost every intelligent idea about them we've had has turned out to be wrong. Maybe we should see what Robin's two-cents are - as long as we don't contradict his book, I'm cool.

> > I wanted Andrin to be gone long enough for the Hendreiki to
> > "disintegrate" and enough social turmoil and strife to
happen that (1) a

> > lot of folk would be willing to consider leaving for Dragon
Pass, and

> > (2) a lot of folk would be willing to accept Andrin - no
matter how

> > radical his changes are. I gave seven years - how about
just two or

> > three?
> IMO his return has to happen before Belintar's final
confrontation

> with the OOO. Belintar's war against the OOO was won through
his

> subversion of the various Sixths allied with Ezkankekko. He
probably

> did not need the military support of the Heortlanders once
they were

> removed from the opposite side, but IMO he needed their
magic.

> Especially since his encounter with the Leaden Serpent turned
out to

> be a Dragonslaying like Orlanth beating Sh'hakarzeel.

        OK, so we have Belintar showing up in 1313 and killing the OOO in 1318. How about Andrin dies in 1316 and is returned in 1318 to help kill the OOO?

> I'd say that returning the reformed Andrin would facilitate
this. And

> I see nothing wrong in his return not being accepted by a
major

> portion of the Hendreiki. See Gustin Hammer for this
movement. If

> Andrin barely manages to unite lowland Gardufar and parts of
Karhend,

> the rest may well disintegrate.

        Works for me.

> WRT Enfrew, I have my doubts that he remained king throughout
> Tarkalor's action. I find it quite likely that a successor
was

> restored to the original High Kingship after Enfrew had been
weakened

> by the Kurtali clan.

        Could be. Again, my concern is that we don't conflict too much with whatever Robin ends up writing.

> Oh, I agreed with the rough sequence of kings of Heortland. I
just

> have Andrin's Zombie reign start earlier and last not quite
as long,

> with his direct successor (or his Esvulari earl) expanding in
the south.

        I'd like Andrin's reign to last long enough that he outlives all of his foes and many of their children. By the time he dies, almost nobody remembers what it was like before him.

        > As long as the Volsaxi "in"-voice remains separate from the Andrini

> version of the history, go for world conspiracy theories
among the

> Volsaxi. I dislike the use of the Kitori in this way, but as
you said

> the Kitori references should leave broad alleys of detail
solutions.

> This is why the term "conquest" can be subject to Gregging,
too.

        Yep. Don't get me wrong - I'd really like to know more about the Kitori. I'm just concerned because presumably Robin is writing a book that will have them and we should not be in too much contradiction with that. It isn't a big deal to me.

> > Don't know - and I don't think we need to answer that for
the
> > Whitewall background. Is Robin still writing his book?
> To my knowledge, the first book is at least ready for layout,
but the
> Issaries funds are apportioned elsewhere. Robin showed his
head on the
> HeroQuest group this week. Should we interview or invite him?
Let's not force Robin to read through a thousand e-mails on
this. Just let him know (or I can) what we are doing and whether there are a whole bunch of new facts about the Kitori that his book would contradict. Or better yet, write a short summary of our Volsaxiland-Kitori history (focused mainly on the 15th-16th Century) and ask him if this conflicts much with his book.

> Not sure I like the early date for Broyan's crowning
(torcing). A date

> slightly before 1613 will do as King of the Volsaxi. The
interim king

> (1605 to say 1610) could be an elderly or sickly uncle or
other male

> relative. The 1605 strike may well have wiped out the entire
royal

> branch of the family - leading to a side line inheriting the
crown,

> with Broyan "second in succession".
> 1610 has Heortland defending against the Sartarites. What was
this

> about? Do we want Broyan as King of the Volsaxi during this
conflict?

> Could we have another king-slaying in battle?

        Sure - let's have most of Broyan's elder male relatives killed in 1605. Broyan is considered too much of a fire and brimstone holy terror (with his predictions of the coming Darkness, his dangerous conviction, and his heroquesting) to be politically acceptable to the other tribal kings (they don't want to give the Lunars an invitation to invade). As a result, the crown goes to *****, Broyan's [brother, cousin, nephew, uncle, whatever] in 1605. In 1610, the [southern Sartarite tribe - the Sambarri, Balmyr, or Locaem] raid Volsaxiland and in a lucky battle kill ***** and his companions. The Lunars are too engaged in the invasion of Prax to take an active interest in Volsaxi internal politics and Broyan (as just about the only qualified candidate) is acclaimed King of the Volsaxi. To the surprise of some of the tribal kings, Broyan does not start a war with the Sartarite thralls of the Lunar Empire - nor does he lend support to Starbrow's Rebellion. "Patience," he told his thanes. "The Storm is brewing."

> And I'd still like to see Broyan's bid for the Hendreiki
crown in 1617.

         Yep. That's when the Storm hits.

         Jeff