Re: Why Whitewall?

From: donald_at_...
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 18:46:13 GMT

In message <c377h5+57kf_at_...> "illuminate33" writes:
>Why did they select Whitewall?
>
>Perhaps I forgetfuly left something very basic fact in this siege,
>please ignore this if I ask you something very basic fact. Of course
>many factors concerned.

I think Broyan holed up in Whitewall for an heroic last stand but then found enough other Orlanthi had the same idea to make WW defensible. The Lunars started by assigning a small force to keep him bottled up but that didn't work - too many ways in and out of WW for them to plug. So they allocated more troops and then Jorkandros was persuaded to attack. When that failed they decided to use the bat to make an example of a troublesome tribe. Only after the bat was defeated did it become essential, both politically and mythically, for WW to fall. So Tatius was appointed and given whatever he needed to do the job. By this time the defence of WW became a myth in itself with Broyan as the hero. So when the end was inevitable he decided a living hero was more use than a dead one and pretended his escape had been planned all along.

I don't think the Lunars have a propaganda angle other than "Those who oppose us will be crushed". To the Orlanthi however it is a clear example of how stout warriors and cunning leaders can defeat the mightiest of oppressors - "You know my brother fought beside King Broyan at Whitewall?"

This is just my slightly cynical take on the siege.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/