Re: City Outline & Neighbourhoods - Sketch Map

From: Jonathan Quaife <jonathan.quaife_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 00:36:56 -0000

I'm with you on the mines.... but do feel that a client farming population, in the valleys outside of the defensible parts, should still be a factor. These would explain a large population figure for the city while at the same time make absolutely no difference to the practicable defensible size of the bit we're all discussing here. IMO Gloranthan cities can often be a bit too small....

Cheers,

Jon.

I don't think Whitewall was reoccupied for any reason other than its defensibility. Hendreik and the early Hendreiki kings took up residence at Whitewall after the Gbaji Wars, but then abandoned it because of it inaccessibility. Centuries later Hardrand the Green relocated the Volsaxi capital to Whitewall during his war with the Pharaoh and King ***** of Heortland (I really ought to name the guy). Whitewall is extremely defensible, but economically useless.

Let's not have mines or other economically valuable reasons to be there - its a big, easily defended, fortified but barren rock. You'd never locate there for any reason other than defensibility. That's why it keep getting abandoned.