Project: a siege scale map of Whitewall

From: jorganos <joe_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 17:01:09 -0000

Browsing the wiki, I have grown confused once again about the tor/plateau issue. I found that I need maps, now we have this amount of data to play with.

What we have so far is the map of the surrounding lands (still containing various errors) and the city plan overview. What I'd like to see is
- how the Tor (if that's the rock the city walls were built upon)
relates to the rest of the Plateau,
- where that larger hill (on the map towards the west) sits,

etc.

I'll try to provide a greyscale suggestion (so that we can make functional maps using color, much like I did for the tribal map), unless someone out there feels he or she is better at mapmaking.

And it would be cool if someone had a wiki-like tool for graphics - ideally something able to merge layers produced by the individual contributors.

Here's my current idea:

Tarkalor's road approaches from the northeast through a valley with the Tor atop the plateau to the northwest and a quite rounded hill range to the southeast. The hills opposite the plateau are less high than the Tor, but overlook the plateau.

The road rises on top of a lesser hill opposite to the Tor, from which Tarkalor's Bridge spans the gap towards Tarkalor's Gate. During the siege there will be a bastion of ballistae and trebuchets here, probably thunderbolt-riddled.

The road to Smithstone leads southward first into a broader valley which will house the Lunar camp.

To the south of the Plateau, west of the Tor, there would be the valley leading to the trail across Destor's Hills into Markdale. There ought to be hilltops across that valley overlooking the plateau as well.

Northwest of the Tor, the plateau ends somehow (drops, or changes into a steep rise?), and the main hill of Destor's Hills rises up several hundred feet higher than the other peaks. Access to the plateau ought to be controlled by the Tor, but other routes like Grudny's Ginnel should exist.

The plateau might be a constant rise towards the peak in the west. If the peak rises without a rift, we could even have a stream feeding a pool atop the plateau.

Comments?