Re: Funerals?

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 07:40:57 -0000

> I think the Lunars started it, either by not considering the
> issue or deliberately to damage Orlanth. Some of the defenders
> were outraged, demanded revenge and Broyan agreed...

Superb. This gets us a parallel to one of the key atrocities in the Iliad -- Achilles' abuse of Hector's corpse -- which is, in the end (let me remind the Heortling and Imperial corpse-mucking fanatics) the cause for a lovely bit of respect and quasi-reconciliation at the very end of the book: Hector's funeral.

I suggest that if we *do* start abusing the afterlife ("dishonouring the fallen", as my scary friend in black has it) as a siege tactic, we have problems arise, followed by a HQish/peacemaking kinda plot to resolve the issue, plus a grand funeral scene afterwards.

You might even see a Heortling embassy attending the mass funeral (and funeral games, funeral feast, etc.) of their Lunar foes, and vice versa. Duelling hospitality... :-)

Cheers, Nick