RE: Re: Whitewall - tactical scale map, death star Whitewall

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 09:45:21 -0800

Joerg -

        > > My only quibble is that I think that the Tor should be higher -

> > the Rock of Whitewall should be higher than the hillback.
We

> > should either draw an additional elevation line on the Tor,

> > or drop one from the Hillback.
> In that case, we have to enlarge the Tor quite a bit, with a
few

> unused ledges below the actual wall.
> My idea has Whitewall sit on the eastern outcrop of that
> larger-than-the-rest peak. Compare the source maps (DP:LoT
and Auroch

> Hills) - Whitewall is consistently drawn east of that highest
peak.

        Taking a more careful look at the maps, I'm cool with it. However, can we at least make the Rock loom above the other hills? I want folk in the Markdale or in the Northvale to be able to see Whitewall in the distance. Here's the image I'm thinking of:

        http://www.planetware.ca/photos/GR/GR269.HTM

        This might be the view from the east.

> The Hillback ought to have something to do either with the
origin of

> the hill range, or with Destor. Not a camp site - if
anything, we

> might have a Destor campsite nearby.

        Let's have it be associated with Destor. Why not have one of the six campfire spots be on the Hillback?

> Which brings me to another question: what part of the
Plateau/Tor has

> been piled up by Helamakt, and what part existed prior to
that attack

> so that Destor could visit during the Downward Migration?
What exactly

> did Helamakt defend here, an important site or just a border?

        Good question. Can we leave it open for the time being, and see if we need something once we start describing the various heroquests in more detail?

> > Prior to Tarkalor's Bridge, Sesarto carved a wide, windy
> > staired path up the Rock. That's part of the reason that
> > Whitewall was considered so inaccessible.
> So on which flank is that path now?

        Along the eastside, I think.

> What kind of reliefs, statuary etc can we expect there?

        My mental image of this path is based on this:

http://oncampus.richmond.edu/academics/classics/photos/photodb/Thompson/ 100_0187.jpg

        Except without the lovely Mediterranean sea in the background. However, I imagine that the old path to Whitewall was actually carved out of the rock.

> Did anybody build fortifications across this
> stairway?

        It should be very easy to defend - however, I imagine that the defenders must periodically deal with assaults up the Old Path - sometimes as feints, sometimes as sneak attacks that occur while there is a main attack on Tarkalor's Bridge.

         Jeff