Re: Whitewall - tactical scale map, death star Whitewall

From: jorganos <joe_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 18:05:40 -0000

Me:
>> My idea has Whitewall sit on the eastern outcrop of that
>> larger-than-the-rest peak. Compare the source maps (DP:LoT
>> and Auroch
>> Hills) - Whitewall is consistently drawn east of that highest
>> peak.

Jeff Richard
> Taking a more careful look at the maps, I'm cool with it.
> However, can we at least make the Rock loom above the other
> hills?

I'm all for that. See the Lighthouse thread, too.

> want folk in the Markdale or in the Northvale to be able to see
> Whitewall in the distance. Here's the image I'm thinking of:

> http://www.planetware.ca/photos/GR/GR269.HTM

Cool pic. Let's not use the vineyards, though.

That hill has a natural ramp up in the front - do we want that as the rise from Tarkalor's Bridge?

> This might be the view from the east.

>> The Hillback ought to have something to do either with the
>> origin of
>> the hill range, or with Destor. Not a camp site - if
>> anything, we
>> might have a Destor campsite nearby.

> Let's have it be associated with Destor. Why not have one of
> the six campfire spots be on the Hillback?

Because as an explorer, I'd place my campfire in a sheltered place rather than advertize my presence with a beacon. I have the Dead Star Beast site on the northeastern flank of the hill, for Varanorlanth.

>> Which brings me to another question: what part of the
>> Plateau/Tor has
>> been piled up by Helamakt, and what part existed prior to
>> that attack
>> so that Destor could visit during the Downward Migration?
>> What exactly
>> did Helamakt defend here, an important site or just a border?

> Good question. Can we leave it open for the time being, and see
> if we need something once we start describing the various
> heroquests in more detail?

I rather hoped that someone like Oliver or Stu would provide a story explaining this... That's the fun in this cooperative effort.

>>> Prior to Tarkalor's Bridge, Sesarto carved a wide, windy
>>> staired path up the Rock. That's part of the reason that
>>> Whitewall was considered so inaccessible.
>> So on which flank is that path now?

> Along the eastside, I think.

Running from the ledge featuring Tarkalor's Gate down towards the Drizzle?

http://oncampus.richmond.edu/academics/classics/photos/photodb/Thompson/ 100_0187.jpg

> Except without the lovely Mediterranean sea in the background.
> However, I imagine that the old path to Whitewall was actually
> carved out of the rock.

That's why I asked about reliefs etc: after all, Sestarto is _the Artist_.

Similarities to the Boldhome-Jonstown road welcome. too.

>> Did anybody build fortifications across this >> stairway?

> It should be very easy to defend - however, I imagine that the
> defenders must periodically deal with assaults up the Old Path -
> sometimes as feints, sometimes as sneak attacks that occur while
> there is a main attack on Tarkalor's Bridge.

Defenders here are quite vulnerable to missile attacks, though.

However, there might even be a Eurmali or two chained to the task of boobytrapping this access route...