Re: Batty batty batty

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 17:10:00 +0000 (GMT)

> > The ability to absorb magic is, conceptually at
> least,
> > a Shield. So chuck a Shield Destroyer feat at it.

> Hmm, nice hairsplitting, but I probably wouldn't
> allow it.

Slight improv. modifier, I agree. Maybe just improvise "kill ability" off the Death affinity in the first place. Or "kill Bat", while we're at it.

But do my suggestions for turning sacrifices into augments help with any more sensible ideas?

> Of course, the magical absorbtion is an Ability, and
> can be beaten by
> anything of sufficient magnitude. So if you can
> crank up a Xw5+ magical
> effect, you have a chance to stop the bat cold

The afore-mentioned scarey friend in black thinks a seriously augmented "decapitate foe" would be good. She's out of her mind.

> (Of course, "Absorb magic"
> might be augmented with something else, like "Large
> 15w7" for a +16...)

Of course. A mere 15W5 isn't enough to deal with, you have to bring this up. Do the rest of us get to augment magical abilties with physical size, then? All magicians start shovelling burgers :)

> I think the original, pre-goddess bat had the
> standard 2 eyes. Through
> illumination, chaos mutation, etc, it acquired
> others (which don't all see into *this* world...).

This does sound familiar.

> I think a series of Thunderclaps ..
> that act like strobe lights on the Bat's Sonar
> would probably do as well or better. And accompanied
> with Lightning to act
> as *real* strobing lights, you can kill off it's
> eyesight as well.

How do our human heroes manage to operate in this?

> In the midst of the howling,
> lightning-rent, hail-pelting storm come Our Orlanthi
> Heroes (suitably
> augmented and empowered in all their Hero-Light)
> riding the winds. A massive
> fight develops on the back of the bat. Which,
> incidently, goes into a
> series of death-rolls, dives, spins, etc

Sounds/looks wonderful! We've got to get the mechanics for this sorted, it's far too good to lose.

And personaly I still like the idea of starting off with the vacuum to stop the Scream: once you release the vacuum you'll have all the thunder-clap you could ask for.

Jane Williams