Re: Kallyr and Storms

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 23:21:47 +0000 (GMT)

> It's not an association - Kallyr with storms - that
> I've ever made. I'm not too sure where it comes
from.

Various lines in OiD, mainly. It was a pretty new idea to me, too.

p10, she apparently flies at Boldhome. But I've now figured this out: at that stage she's an initate of Vinga and Vangarth. And after a short phase of "oh not not another *** new subcult, which one's this?", I find that Vangarth is the Flyer (TR p227). Back to OiD p11, she swaps from Vangarth to Dar in 1611. OK. She *did* have flying abilities, she dropped them.

> She is
> described as 'powerful as a minor god' (pay no
> attention to the stats :))

Quite. There just isn't anything there that's in this sort of range. So some very large number or other is missing from the stats.

> and the page gives as an example her personal combat
> to **exterminate** a
> tornado. (Nothing about commanding it to turn aside,
> or blowing it off course, it's described as a zap
job.

Good point. I'd been assumed that this implied storm powers, but you're right. Not that I can see any ability on her list that would have this sort of effect.

There's also the Sartar High Council writeup, which has her in the Orlanth Thunderous position. In fact, p103 in WF, she's explicitly stated as being a priest of Orlanth Thunderous. Yes, this was written in pre-Vinga days, but that's Thunderous, not Rex or Adventurous.

Jane Williams