Septimation

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 08:40:55 -0000

Nick:
> OT -- re: Vexilla/Decimation -- is this the spirit of retribution
> for the vexillum, attacking the ineffectual soldiers who vexed it?

I agree with Jeff, this (and the earlier post) is a good idea. Punishments for Lunar units can be a little difficult to suggest--the *ultimate* punishment would be banishment from her glow, but is this actually reconcilable with the tenets of inclusion, and Xaroni repentance? Punishment battalions might be a useful alternative.

Decimation sounds to me like it may be a holdover from older influences--I'd say Dara Happan, but they just probably executed/sent to the salt mines the whole regiment... perhaps it was mollified in recent years. Carmanian? The summmary brutality of it seems to fit elements of these cultures, but the case can be argued for a few, methinks.

For vexillae, the use of the Vexillum as an agent of retribution is cool, but for other regiments I'd suggest that the generals possess on their retinue a Lunar Septimator (Octimator, Decimator for others, perhaps...), armed with a large scimitar/falchion, who could happily inflict punishment on one man out of every seven* in an offending unit. It's actually a position of great honour.

There's a grim Lunar swordwielder of exceptional ability who might wish to go toe-to-toe with a barbarian...

(*Sure, weeds out more combat strength, but it's probably more select, mythically appropriate and the magical strengthening of adherence to duty that followed would outweigh any effects in manpower)

Stu.

'Paths of Glory' style scenario begging to be written for this... We don't have an 'Ant-hill' (Tarkalor's Gate?), but an Adolphe Menjoucharacter  would make a creditable Tatius.