Bat crash

From: Benedict Adamson <yahoo_at_...>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 15:27:44 +0000

Jeff Richard wrote:
> The question for us is whether is cooler to have the mortal remains of the Bat
> crash to the ground, spewing out chaotic blood and thrashing out its dying throes
> at thr base of the Tor - or do we want the Bat to disappear offcamera?

And Jane Williams reminds us that The Bat is a kilometere long.

If the bat is ~1000m long it has a mass of ~10^9 kg. If it falls from a height of ~100m, its crash has an energy ~10^12 J. That is, ~1000 tonnes of TNT. Most of the energy wound be directed downwards: enough for a substantial local earthquake? If so, I don't think we want the crash close to the defences.