Re: Septimation

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_...>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 22:11:39 +0000 (GMT)

Stewart Stansfield:

> Nick:
> > OT -- re: Vexilla/Decimation -- is this the spirit of retribution
> > for the vexillum, attacking the ineffectual soldiers who vexed it?
> For vexillae, the use of the Vexillum as an agent of retribution is
> cool, but for other regiments I'd suggest that the generals possess
> on their retinue a Lunar Septimator (Octimator, Decimator for others,
> perhaps...), armed with a large scimitar/falchion, who could happily
> inflict punishment on one man out of every seven* in an offending
> unit. It's actually a position of great honour.

One of the horrors of decimation was that the punishment was carried out by the soldiers' comrades, not by external executioners. Just imagine being made to beat your best friend and comrade to death, knowing that if you refused you would be put in his place. There's no need for a Septimator or similar rank, for the regular soldiers would carry out the punishment.

Simon