The Bat-Blat

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 22:04:41 -0800 (PST)

> > BTW, Orgwaha Blue Llama works for me: let's use
> him!
>
> Yep: he's there, he gets used. What else do we know
> about him. High Llama rider? His personal Llama is
> Blue?

He is a High Llama rider of the Blue Llama tribe -- the same tribe as Yazurkial. He is apparently a storm bull priest (in RQ terms). Here is no mention of him leading a band, so I assume he has only his personal followers when he appears in Boldhome. I like the idea that, when everyone goes off to get their winds, he went back to Prax and brought a band with him to the Storm Hills; from there, they ride aurochs!

> From: "Jeff Richard" <richj_at_...>
> Subject: Killing the bat
>
> Chris: driving off the bat and killing it is for all
> practical purposes indistinguishable. Both remove
> the Bat from the story for next three to seven years
> and forces the Lunars to perform loads of rituals
> and sacrifices to bring it back.

Ah, so since they are indistinguishable, you don't mind if we just have them drive off the bat, right?

;-) Don't pull that lawyer stuff on a lawyer, buddy!

They are clearly distinguishable in terms of what people would say about what happened at Whitewall. Orlanthi would have no reason to know that the bat will return, so there should be widepread celebration in its usual feeding grounds.

Fortunately, we know what people say! OiD 9: "The Crimson Bat finally arrives to devour all of the inhabitants. King Broyan nd his personal companions teleport onto its back and, incredibly, drive it fro the Mortal Plane." Sounds like death to me, especially if it is known that the black shadow of the Bat flies off from its corpse.

Now, back to the storms and winds, noting again John's quote of TR 241 and the explanation on TR 128 that Storms and Winds are frequently confused (implying that they are different things).

I think that Orlanth has seven storms: Daylanus, Hedkoranth, Helamakt, Ohorlanth, Vingkot, and Yavor all take the Storm affinity from Orlanth's Thunderous aspect, plus Vinga, whose Defender Storm subcult is the only ST subsult that has the Storm affinity other than Valind (see below). These are all "parts" or "children" of Orlanth.

There are also seven primal winds -- Orlanth, Valind (as heir to Vadrus), Urox, Humakt, Brastalos, and Kolat are six of them. None of these are parts or children of Orlanth. All are siblings. Orlanth's missing sibling is Ragnaglar, who won't be showing up (on Orlanth's side anyway). So, I think that Broyan figures out how to fill the gap.

I can come up with all sorts of theories: Yinkin is his other brother; Heler is an adopted brother; Ernalda is "another way wind" (TR 122); Doburdan ("dead air") or his Thunder Addi is Ragnaglar; Eurmal is the bound wind; etc. Broyan might not need to decide -- he could just call the "other wind". I tend towards Ernalda being the 7th wind.

In any case, the myth at TR 27 describing the storms that Orlanth put at six directions never resonated for me. My reasons are: (1) it mixes brothers, children, and foreigners and (2) since Orlanth is Ohorlanth, hiw whole is in one place while a part of him is elsewhere. However, I think it is just confusion over names, which TR 128 notes; the names in TR 27 are not important. I still like the identification of the officers and the corresondence to Kallyr's companions on KoS 135.

Also, I found a couple of myths that might apply to what Broyan was planning when he emptied out Whitewall. All of this is speculative.

The first is obviously the LBQ. Sure, Orlanth dies, but we know how he came back. This seems to fit because it leaves Vingkot in charge. The problem with that one is that you need someone to go on the LBQ representing Orlanth. Is there an Argrath around?

The second is in TR 146. In this myth, Orlanth gets tricked into leaving by a conspiracy of his brothers, and Vingkot eventually calls him back with a sacrifice. Again, the Vingkot bit seems to work, though having Orlanth tricked by his brothers seems a bit odd. Perhaps Broyan identifies Kallyr as Orlanth and tricks her into leaving? That might be why KoS 235 identifies her as the leader.

Chris Lemens

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Finance Tax Center - File online. File on time. http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html