RE: The Bat-Blat

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:44:02 -0800

Chris:

> He is a High Llama rider of the Blue Llama tribe --
> the same tribe as Yazurkial. He is apparently a storm
> bull priest (in RQ terms). Here is no mention of him
> leading a band, so I assume he has only his personal
> followers when he appears in Boldhome. I like the
> idea that, when everyone goes off to get their winds,
> he went back to Prax and brought a band with him to
> the Storm Hills; from there, they ride aurochs!

        I like bringing the Blue Llama in as a written NPC. One of my goals in this exercise is to bring into play familiar (or semi-familiar) Dragon Pass NPCs that can brought into our campaigns.

> > Chris: driving off the bat and killing it is for all
> > practical purposes indistinguishable. Both remove
> > the Bat from the story for next three to seven years
> > and forces the Lunars to perform loads of rituals
> > and sacrifices to bring it back.
> Ah, so since they are indistinguishable, you don't
> mind if we just have them drive off the bat, right?
> ;-) Don't pull that lawyer stuff on a lawyer, buddy!

        I agree with my fellow former governmental attorney that for practical purposes this is indistinguishable and contains no principled and objective means of distinction. But for aesthetic purposes, the difference is night and day. :) And I'm all about the aesthetics here.....

> Fortunately, we know what people say! OiD 9: "The
> Crimson Bat finally arrives to devour all of the
> inhabitants. King Broyan nd his personal companions
> teleport onto its back and, incredibly, drive it fro
> the Mortal Plane." Sounds like death to me,
> especially if it is known that the black shadow of the
> Bat flies off from its corpse.

        Exactly.

> I think that Orlanth has seven storms: Daylanus,
> Hedkoranth, Helamakt, Ohorlanth, Vingkot, and Yavor
> all take the Storm affinity from Orlanth's Thunderous
> aspect, plus Vinga, whose Defender Storm subcult is
> the only ST subsult that has the Storm affinity other
> than Valind (see below). These are all "parts" or
> "children" of Orlanth.

        Others could be included or excluded from that list - it is VERY flexible. Maybe there are really seven times seven winds and storms. The Orlanthi love the number seven.

> Also, I found a couple of myths that might apply to
> what Broyan was planning when he emptied out
> Whitewall. All of this is speculative.

        This is good speculation. One thing folk should not be afraid of is to be willing to come up with new ideas that aren't necessary obvious extensions of existing Gloranthan sources. We don't have to be mere lawyers interpreting the law - we can make up our own law as long as it fits with Greg's overall vision of Glorantha (which of course changes over time).

         Jeff