Re: Re: Bat-blat, Aroka

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 20:18:02 -0800

> Incidentally, I note from Roderick's "Kinder, Gentler" BatStat that
> it isn't stated to be necessary to sacrifice the High Priest of the
> Crimson Bat Cult to bring the Bat back from the Otherworld. Eh? I
> always liked that notion, myself... and it was a great way for us to
> motivate the Bat Man in "Life of Moonson" to keep his charge safe.

'Cause I didn't have the loMS texts handy, and forgot all about it. That's why.

I had a thought about the Bat, the Lunar Armies, and how to keep the one from making the other useless.

Say that, When the Bat goes to war, Priests of the bat cult travel before it, visiting all the Lunar units along it's route and in the theatre of operations, performing mass initiations of soldirs. Join the Bat Cult, gain immunity to the Bat (that's an order, soldier!)

As a side benefit, the bat picks up thousands of direct supporters (a proper ancient-era army should have a non-fighting "tail" of cooks, servants, camp followers, sutlers, beggers, slaves, etc at least 5 times greater than the actual number of warriors. Some decadent units might have 25:1 or more.)

After thinking that thought, another came to me.

The bat currently grows as it feeds. So at the start of the campaign you have to shovel a *lot* of people down it's throat to get it to a good "fighting size". Then it eats all the people you are fighting against - and grows even bigger. What a waste! The Bat is at its best *after* you need it!

Instead, what if the number of Supporters it has determines the size? Normally, the bat is "small" (okay, a 90 foot wingspan isn't that "small"...). But when the call comes to send it against the enemy, all those supporters lending their Community Support give it the means to get bigger. If the army is, say 10 full regiments of warriors (~10,000 warriors), then the "tail" should be something like 50,000 - making a significant "blip" on the Support tables!

Since, at the moment, the BatStats up on Wiki are officially "Fan Material", we can change it as we want!

RR
- Richelieu