RE: Fw: Re: [Glorantha]Retrofitting Fimbulwinter into KoS

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 10:08:29 -0800

Jane:

> That's how Denseros presents it, yes. The suggestion
> was that he's (again) mispresenting the date at least.
> Remember, this is the guy who presents history as if
> she died permanently in 1626!
> If you read the wording carefully, he never actually
> states when it occurs, nor gives any causality links.
> It's post-1602, as that's when it was last tried, he
> says.

        Presumably someone tried a short LBQ in response to the Lunar invasion.

> >It seems clear to me that you can
> > repeat them, but repeated
> > encounters will always work out the same way (or in
> > effect *be the same
> > event*). The benefit (or penalty) from these
> > re-lived events has already been had.
> That's certainy a valid viewpoint, but I tend to look
> at it a different way: you can try to do the same HQ,
> but there are *always* variations. In the station
> where you meet an enemy, who or what will it be?
> Different every time.

        IMO, the LBQ is never the same twice. I believe the myths associated with it are always incomplete. Basically Harmast strung together all of the "Orlanth in the Otherworld" myths that he could learn from the various Heortling traditions. You know, bits of the Berenethtelli Vanak Spear quest, bits of the Orvaltes Hall of Subere quest, etc. But the Heortlings didn't accompany Orlanth in the Otherworld and don't know precisely what he and his companions did.

        And as Roderick points out, the LBQ is in *THE* Otherworld. Which makes it especially tough.

	> I mentioned in an earlier post "a" as opposed to
	> "the" LBQ. ... The
	> heroquest path for "the" LBQ is
	> described in KoS as having been forgotten, and this
	> is an important plot device, I feel.

	Nobody knows the heroquest path for "the" LBQ - just close
approximations and good guesswork.

> > Consequently I would say that the
> > other recorded LBQ's:
> > namely Garrath's in the Giant's Cradle scenario
> > (bringing back the Sun Wheel
> > Dancer), Kallyr's in Orlanth is Dead, and Kallyr's
> > again later in KoS, are
> > in some form lesser, incomplete versions of the
> > greater quest, which (IMO)
> > includes components of re-creation/ cosmogony absent
> > from these examples.
> Nice idea. They're all sub-sets. The variant Kallyr
> tries in CHDP is in fact the same as that tried (by
> who?) in 1602, but all the rest are different. In
> fact, we know the Iceland one took 7 days, and the
> CHDP one normally took 14 (So if they're the same, she
> compressed it. Could be.)

        Or she left a bunch of steps out. Less powerful, but much easier. Most recorded LBQ's are subsets of the LBQ - with the toughest or unknown bits removed.

         Jeff