Re: Broyan's Banner?

From: illuminate33 <inarsus-ferilt-z_at_...>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 18:38:26 -0000

Hello, Stu:

Though I am not an expert on Japanese Samurai movies and films...
> "Swift as the wind,
> Silent as the forest,
> Fierce as a fire,
> Immovable as a mountain."

Oh, yeah. Shingen:

http://www.grtbooks.com/exitfram.asp?idx=0&yr=- 400&aa=SU&at=BH&ref=suntzu&URL=http://classics.mit.edu/Tzu/artwar.htm l
This is from Sun Tzu, Ancient Chinese Strategist. Shingen copied it from his famous "Art of War". <<15. In war, practice dissimulation, and you will succeed.

  1. Whether to concentrate or to divide your troops, must be decided by circumstances.
  2. Let your rapidity be that of the wind, your compactness that of the forest.
  3. In raiding and plundering be like fire, is immovability like a mountain. >>

> The four elemental motifs (wind, forest, fire, mountain) and the
> qualities (swiftness, silence, fierceness, steadiness) offer
> themselves well to Runic correspondences as used by the Orlanthi
and
> others.

This is from Orlanth is Dead p.21, I think you might find a sort of similarity in symbols.
<<Look there! Lord Vingkot stands tall. He hurls the Black Arrow, he dons the Four Winds. He calls the warriors to war.

Look there, Lord Vingkot stands tall.
He lights the Blue Fire, our foe is the Sea Tribe, He calls the people to war.

Look there, Lord Vingkot stands tall.
He lights the Black Fire, our foe is the Darkness Tribe, He calls the people to war.

Look there, Lord Vingkot stands tall.
He lights the Yellow Fire, our foe is the Fire Tribe, He calls the people to war.

Look there, Lord Vingkot stands tall.
He lights the Red Fire, our foe is the Other Tribe, He calls the people to war.

From Vingkot's Muster>>

Though Black Arrow reminds me one scene of the Lord of the Rings...calling of Rohan to Minas Tirith...(but that is Red Arrow. Cut from movie.)

Black Fire exists in Glorantha, magically.

TI