Re: New Environs Map

From: John Hughes <john.hughes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 13:47:27 +1000

Joerg's map is extremely helpful and coming along very nicely, but it still gives no concept of the Plateau (Jane has suggested we call it Fellmoor).

I think there has been some confusion between the Tor, which is the outcrop upon which WW sites, and the Fellmoor itself, which is much larger.

Whitewall sits on the Tor which sits on a rather large plateau (Fellmoor) at the top of Northvale, on the eastern edge of Destor's Hills. According to the published maps (which I don't have in front of me right now), Fellmoor is one of the largest hills in the entire range, and rises to the west of the main Sartar-Heortland road. Remember that Whitewall is isolated - so much so that it has failed as a city. So the road up the plateau should be difficult, with steep rises, ravine spanning bridges, and no doubt some fortifications that look down on the road from the heights above. Tricky, in other words.

Option A: If Joerg's map is intended to be the only the *top* of Fellmoor (and this makes most sense to me), then the approach road leading east from the city should continue east off the map. The main highway is quite a few miles further east, and wouldn't climb the plateau when it can skirt it, which is what the published maps suggest.

Option B: If that north-south road is really the highway, then we seem to have lost the entire Fellmoor, and need to really up the verticality. But the scale doesn't seem right for this approach to work.

By way of rough scale, can we assume that the long axis of the city is say... 900 metres?

I suggest that option A is the most logical.

Sorry if I'm sounding like a broken record about this. I need a few ravines. :)

John